Skip to main content


16:53 5th September 2009

Jackson scores against Colchester


Luke Rooney's debut goal crowned a fine display as the Gills cruised past a poor Exeter 3-0 at krbs Priestfield.

Mark Stimson kept faith with most of the side that held Walsall to a goal less draw last weekend, Chris Palmer being the only change at left back.

Gillingham were gifted a dream start in the fourth minutes when Barry Fuller was tripped in the area by Richard Duffy allowing Simeon Jackson to slot home his seventh of the season from the spot.

The home side kept up their momentum with the Grecians struggling to find a foothold in the game but were dealt a blow midway through the half when Mark McCammon was forced to leave the field with what looked like a hamstring strain.

His replacement Kevin Maher was the next to test keeper Jansson, drawing a save to the keeper's left with a curling free kick.

The visitors best chance came shortly before the half hour mark with Duffy finding space on the left of goal, the full back let fly from distance but Simon Royce was able to gather comfortably.

In the 33rd minute Andy Barcham raced onto a ball over the top of defence and caught keeper Jansson in no man's land, sadly his curling shot clipped the crossbar when a second goal seemed certain.

Four minutes from the half time interval Exeter were unlucky as Alex Russell spotted Simon Royce off his line and chanced his arm with a long range effort from just inside the Gills half, a back-pedalling Royce was greatful to see it drift wide of his right hand upright.

Soon after Ryan Harley sent a low drive goalwards from the right side of the area which the Gills keeper scooped up at the second attempt as the Grecians finished the half strongly.

HT 1-0

Ten seconds after the restart Gillingham struck again slack defending by the Grecians, Duffy's back header was too weak to reach Jansson and Simeon Jackson cut in to slide home his second of the match.

Five minutes later Curtis Weston stretched the visitors defence with a fine run down the right but Archibald-Henville was able to cut out his square pass and deny the lurking Jackson.

Despite a trio of substitutions on the hour, Exeter struggled to offer anything in attack and Gillingham continued to break forward at will. In the 71st minute Danny Jackman laid off Palmer's looping cross to Andy Barcham but the left winger powered over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

Four minutes after entering the field as a second half substitute Luke Rooney marked his first league start for the Gills with a stunning debut goal. Exeter failed to clear John Nutter's left wing cross and Rooney, in acres of space, crashed a stunning drive into the top corner.

In the 86th minute Simeon Jackson missed a great chance to claim his second hat-trick of the season, Palmer fired another testing cross over from the left, Jansson missed it and Jackson fired over with the goal at his mercy.

Deep into injury time Josh Gowling's strong run allowed Jackson a last site of goal but this time an acrobatic dive from Jansson denied the striker a third.

Attendance: 5107 (visitors 329)

Gillingham: Simon Royce, Barry Fuller, Josh Gowling, Mark Bentley, Chris Palmer, Dennis Oli (74 Luke Rooney), Curtis Weston, Danny Jackman, Andy Barcham (74 John Nutter), Mark McCammon (23 Kevin Maher), Simeon Jackson.

Subs not used: Garry Richards, Jacob Erskine, Alan Julian, Jack Payne,

Exeter City: Oscar Jansson, Steve Tully (61 Scott Golbone), Richard Duffy, Alex Russell, Matt Taylor (61 Danny Seaborne), Ryan Harley, Marcus Stewart, James Dunne (61 Barry Corr), Liam Sercombe, Troy Archibald-Henville, Stuart Fleetwood.

Subs not used: Andy Marriott, Bertie Cozic, Rob Edwards, Adam Stansfield.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.