Skip to main content


16:53 10th October 2009

Scorer Josh Gowling in action against


Mark Stimson's men pull away from the drop zone with a much needed home win over Wycombe Wanderers at krbs Priestfield.

Gills supporters would have been delighted to see Simeon Jackson back in action after shaking off a hamstring strain. Jackson was one of four changes for Mark Stimson's men along with Nutter, MIller and Jack Payne.

Managerless Wycombe had struggled for points on their travels so far this season and started the game in cautious fashion, soaking up the home side's early pressure.

The Gills chances were restricted to just two specualtive efforts from Curtis Weston before the host's took the lead in the 15th minute. Jack Payne played a corner short to Fuller who sent Barcham away on the left side of goal, he in turn crossed to the back post for Josh Gowling to head home his first Gills goal.

The Chairboys equalised in spectacular fashion after 27 minutes Jon-Paul Pittman collecing the ball on the left of goal and pulling back for Craig Woodman to blast a ferocious drive into Royce's top left corner.

Moments later the visitor's should have taken the lead as Woodman's free kick from the right evaded Harrold's head, while Michael Duberry should also have done better at the far post.

Five minutes from the interval John Nutter swung an inviting ball for Oli to shoot at the near post, he drove wide from close range but their efforts were in vain as he was given offside anyway.

Then on the stroke of half time Gillingham regained the lead, Payne's long throw from right hand touchline was flicked on by Jackson for Curtis Weston to head home from point blank range.

HT 2-1

Early in the second half the Gills went close again after Curtis Weston's lung busting run into the box, he pulled back for Jackson to shoot and Oli was first to the rebound but his low effort whistled wide of Shearer's near post.

Gillingham seemed to be in total control of second half proceedings until Wycombe levelled the scores in bizarre fashion. The home side failed to clear a Woodman free-kick which was played back-in towards Leon Johhson only for Mark Bentley to hook it into his own net.

With 20 minutes remaining Mark Stimson sent on Stuart Lewis and Luke Rooney in an effort to find a winner and almost got lucky in the 74th minute. Payne sent Barcham scampering clear down the left, he fed Rooney but the youngster could only side-foot into the sidenetting.

Gillingham did find the net in the 78th minute, with who else but Simeon Jackson doing the damage. The Gills leading scorer raced onto a deep 60-yard pass from Josh Gowling and placed a sensational finish over the oncoming Shearer and into the far corner.

The home side had Simon Royce to thank for pulling off a stunning save in the 85th minute to deny set piece specialist Craig Woodman's blistering free-kick. Soon after Woodman corssed for Green to shoot on the volley but the Gills were relieved to see his finish drift wide.

Despite an additional four minutes added time the Gills clung on to record a very welcome win.

Attendance: 5316 (216 visitors)

Gillingham: Simon Royce, Barry Fuller, Mark Bentley, Josh Gowling, John Nutter, Dennis Oli (71 Luke Rooney), Adam Miller (68 Stuart Lewis), Jack Payne, Curtis Weston, Andy Barcham, Simeon Jackson

Subs not used: Garry Richards, Chris Palmer, Jacob Erskine, Alan Julian, Rashid Yussuff

Wycombe: Scott Shearer, Lewis Hunt (88 Ashley Chambers), Craig Woodman, Leon Johnson, Michael Duberry, Ian Westlake (75 Stuart Green), Matt Harrold, Jon-Paul Pittman, Matt Phillips (58 Chris Zebroski), Marlon Pack, Kevin Betsy.

Subs not used: Jamie Young, Luke Oliver, Lewis Montrose, Chris Westwood.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.