Skip to main content


17:16 24th October 2009

Rob Elliot denies Simeon Jackson


Honours end even at krbs Priestifeld as Gillingham snatch a late draw against Charlton Athletic.

Forced to make a change after Scott Vernon's injury at MK Dons last week, Mark Stimson added Dennis Oli to his starting line-up, partnering Simeon Jackson in a 4-4-2 formation.

Roared on by a full house, both sides started the match in competitive fashion as they sought to gain an early advantage. Charlton were unlucky with a fifth minute penalty appeal after Stuart Lewis made contact with Izale McLeod in the box. While at the opposite end Rob Elliot came to his defence's rescue to deny early efforts from Barcham and Bentley.

In the 25th minute Charlton spurned a golden opportunity as McLeod got goal side of the Gills back four with only Royce to beat but contrived to blaze into the Rainham End.

Ten minutes from half time Gillingham struck the woodwork. A John Nutter corner was headed back across goal by Bentley, Oli lobbed an overhead kick goalwards which Frazer Richardson contrived to divert on to his own post and behind for a corner.

Both sides continued to compete with great intensity but the score remained deadlocked at the break.

HT 0-0

Early in the second half Jackson brought a save from Elliot with a low drive from outside the box that the Addicks keeper scooped up comfortably. Then in the 50th minute Simon Royce did well to hold Nicky Bailey's fierce free-kick.

A strong run from Matt Fry in the 56th minute set up Andy Barcham to shoot, though Elliot was able to gather his curling effort at the far post.

Kelly Youga surged through the Gills midfield soon after and lashed wide with a wayward shot from the right of goal. Soon after Dennis Oli flicked on Nutter's free kick from the left but Bentley was unable to apply the crucial finish.

Midway through the half Deon Burton connected with Basey's header but directed his chance straight at Simon Royce.

As the half wore on Gillingham began to impose their home advantage and went agonisingly close as John Nutter followed up his own blocked shot only to be denied by Elliot stretching low at his far post.

A moment of madness from John Nutter gave Charlton the lead ten minutes from time, the left back attempted to clear a harmless ball into the box only to rifle into the far corner in surreal circumstances.

Their lead lasted just three minutes as Nutter's throw was nodded into the path of Simeon Jackson who turned his man before firing a low strike into the net to send the home fans into ecstacy.

Attendance: 10,304 (visitors 2304)

Gillingham: Simon Royce, Barry Fuller, Josh Gowling, Matt Fry, John Nutter, Mark Bentley, Curtis Weston, Stuart Lewis, Andy Barcham, Simeon Jackson, Dennis Oli (Rashid Yussuf 90).

Subs not used: Kevin Maher, Chris Palmer, Adam Miller, Alan Julian, Luke Rooney, Jack Payne.

Charlton: Rob Elliot, Frazer Richardson (Grant Basey 60), Kelly Youga, Nicky Bailey, Jose Semedo, Therry Racon, Sam Sodje, Deon Burton, Christian Dailly, Lloyd Sam (Scott Wagstaff 90), Izale McLeod (Dave Mooney 76).

Subs not used: Darren Randolph, Matthew Spring, Jonjo Shelvey, Miguel Angel Llera.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.