Skip to main content


17:04 20th February 2010

Adam Miller runs at the Bristol Rovers back four


Gillingham climb to 16th in the table after Simeon Jackson's sensational injury time strike sees off Bristol Rovers.

Mark Stimson kept faith with the diamond formation that worked so effectively against Yeovil last week. Chris Dickson made his second debut alongside fit again Rene Howe. Dennis Oli and James Walker were the players to make way.

The match got off to a cautious start with Rovers looking to silence the home crowd while Gillingham pushed and probed their visitors in search of a weakness.
In truth they had little joy in the first half, save for a weak long-range effort from Rene Howe and a blocked half-chance from Weston after Dickson's deft flick had sent him clear down the right side of goal.

Rovers Daniel Jones produced the best effort of the half on 38 minutes, chancing his arm with a shot from the left of goal which failed to trouble Alan Julian. Soon after Rene Howe found space on the Bristol right but finished high and wide of the mark.

Five minutes before the interval Darren Dennehy headed over from Maher's corner while Howe should have done better moments later when he skied Dickson's centre over the bar from five yards out.

HT 0-0

Rene Howe fired a shot on the turn into the Rainham End six minutes after the restart and went close again with a low effort from the right which Evans scrambled to gather at the second attempt.

Adam Miller lashed a 20 yard effort wide of Evans left hand upright as the Gills upped the tempo before Stimson introduced Oli and Jackson to try and break the deadlock.

On the hour mark Chris Dickson capitalised on a mix-up in the Rovers back four, he went for goal with an acrobatic overhead kick but skewed his effort well wide.

Danny Jackman was desperately unfortunate with a sweetly struck free-kick that Evans did well to push around the post before Dickson went even closer nodding Jackman's free-kick inches wide of the far post.

Dennehy was on hand to block sub Richards' 76th minute effort as the visitors made a rare break while Evans took the sting out of Fuller's fierce right foot shot in the 83rd.

Five minutes from time Fuller's deep cross was headed back across goal by Barcham, it fell to Jackson on the goal line but the Canadian international put his finish over the bar.

With two minutes to go Jackson thought he had found the net with an excellent solo effort that Evans contrived to push onto the post, Barcham ballooned the resulting corner into the stand.

Then deep into injury time came the moment everyone at Priestfield had been waiting for, Simeon Jackson controlled a long ball forward, and placed a deft low effort into the bottom right corner to secure a very important three points.

Attendance: 5302 (visitors 284)

Gillingham: Alan Julian, Barry Fuller, Garry Richards, Darren Dennehy, John Nutter, Kevin Maher (Simeon Jackson 58), Danny Jackman, Adam Miller, Curtis Weston (Andy Barcham 83), Rene Howe (Dennis Oli 58),
Chris Dickson

Subs not used: Simon Royce, Josh Gowling, James Walker, Chris Palmer.

Bristol Rovers: Rhys Evans, Steve Elliott, Stuart Campbell, Andy Williams (Elliot Richards 83), Paul Heffernan, Jeff Hughes, Byron Anthony, Dominic Blizzard, Charlie Reece (Ben Swallow 83), Aaron Lescott, Daniel Jones.

Subs not used: Mikkel Andersen, Carl Regan, Mark Wright, Charlie Clough, James Tyrrell.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.