Skip to main content


16:59 10th April 2010

Barry Fuller in action at the New Den


Injuries to in-form centre-halves Garry Richards and Darren Dennehy sum up a miserable afternoon for Gillingham at the Den.

Mark Stimson brought Stuart Lewis and leading scorer Simeon Jackson back into the squad, resting the injured Oli and protecting Curtis Weston from suspension ahead of the crucial home matches with Brighton and Leeds.

As might be expected from a derby game, both sides were keen to stamp their authority on the match and there were few arguments when Adam Miller collected a third minute booking for an ill-timed challenge on Jimmy Abdou.

The Gills first sight of goal came four minutes later as a Jackman corner from the left reached Dennehy on the edge of goal whose looping effort drifted over the bar before hitting the back stanchion.

Roared on by over 1,000 visiting supporters, the Gills were more than holding their own in the first quarter of the match and tested keeper Forde in the 19th minute. Howe flicked on for Jackson to power a volley from the edge of the box but the finish was

comfortably gathered by the Lions custodian.

Millwall then opened the scoring in the 26th minute after Liam Trotter dispossessed Stuart Lewis in midfield. He played in Schofield who in turn fed Shaun Batt on the left of goal to slot beyond the advancing Julian and into the bottom corner.

Tony Craig struck the second nine minutes later as Gillingham were punished for failing to clear a corner. Miller's headed clearance to the edge of the box was met by the Lions full-back who spotted Julian off his line and chipped into the net from 20 yards.

HT 0-2

At half time Josh Gowling was brought on for Darren Dennehy who had taken a boot to the face midway through the first half. Worse was to come for the Gills as Garry Richards was injured after tumbling over Alan Julian and had to leave the field on a stretcher four minutes into the half.

Mark Bentley was forced into action as a centre-half but the switch seemed to have an initially positive effect of the Gills until they found themselves three goals down on the hour. Danny Schofield waltzing through the visitors defence before driving into Julian's far corner to round off an excellent individual goal.

The fourth arrived five minutes later, a corner from the right was headed back across goal by Paul Robinson, leaving former Gills striker Neil Harris to nod in the finish, unmarked at the near post.

Gillingham continued to work hard but without any end product for their efforts, indeed Lions keeper David Forde didn't have a save to make. Stimson pushed Barcham up front to partner Jackson in an effort to liven-up the front line but, with only 15 minutes

remaining, the cause was already lost.

Attendance: 13,174 (Gills 1112)

Gillingham: Alan Julian, Barry Fuller, Garry Richards (Mark Bentley 51), Darren Dennehy (Josh Gowling 46), John Nutter, Adam Miller, Stuart Lewis, Danny Jackman, Andy Barcham, Rene Howe (Kevin Maher 76), Simeon Jackson.

Subs not used: Simon Royce, Chris Dickson, Dennis Oli, Curtis Weston.

Millwall: David Forde, Paul Robinson, Danny Schofield, Chris Hackett, Tony Craig, Darren Ward, Steve Morrison (Neil Harris 46), Jack Smith, Shaun Batt (Jonathan Obika 75), Jimmy Abdou, Liam Trotter (Scott Barron 80).

Subs not used: John Sullivan, Andy Frampton, Gary Alexander, Marc Laird.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.