Skip to main content


21:42 13th April 2010

Adam Miller heads for goal


An excellent penalty save from Alan Julian secures a point for ten man Gillingham at krbs Priestfield.

With Richards and Jackson picking up injuries at Millwall on Saturday, Mark Stimson partnered Gowling and Dennehy in defence, Curtis Weston was recalled to midfield while Dennis Oli started up front with Rene Howe.

The Gills made a nightmare start to proceedings, going a goal down inside five minutes. Elliott Bennett swung an inviting corner to the near post and full-back Adam El-Abd was on hand to apply the finish.

Bennett warmed Julian's hands with a well struck free-kick four minutes later but 14 minutes had elapsed before the home side got a sight of goal. Barry Fuller holding off his marker to cross for Weston though the midfielder's header was easily gathered by Brezovan in the Brighton goal.

Gillingham soon settled and were unlucky not to level from quickly taken free-kick in the 24th minute. Jackman's vision sent Howe clear on the left of goal, his square ball evaded Oli and Miller could only stab wide of the far post.

The visitors were almost gifted a second just before the half hour as Dennehy surrendered possession on the edge of the area but a Gowling block was enough to deny Lee Hendrie's curling effort. From the resulting corner, ex Gills skipper Andrew Crofts headed over.

Two minutes later Dennis Oli missed a sitter at the opposite end. Rene Howe showed good persistence to break into the box and laid it on a plate for Oli at the near post but he struck the keeper from scarcely two yards out.

HT 0-1

The Gills equalised soon after the restart when Rene Howe flicked through to Adam Miller who took the ball past a defender and calmly rounded the keeper before slotting home into an unguarded net.

Brighton really should have retaken the lead when a slip by Wynter and an mistimed clearance by Gowling presented Glenn Murray with a golden opportunity but somehow the forward contrived to slice wide with only

Julian to beat.

Simeon Jackson entered the match on the hour and could have put the hosts in front with his first touch, a long ball up-field found him unmarked in no man's land but Brezovan raced out superbly to block his hooked shot.

Twenty minutes from time Lee Hendrie set up Murray with another great opening. The striker was unmarked in the area but skyed his finish much to the relief of the Rainham End.

Ten minutes later a sweet curling free-kick from Jackman presented Chris Dickson with a chance to sweep into the net only to see his finish rebound off the woodwork. Then moments later at the other end, second half sub Gary Dicker blazed over from an equally gilt-edged opening.

Five minutes from time a Nutter throw was helped into the area, Dickson failed to connect with an over-head kick and Brezovan was able to gather Barcham's looping chip on the goal line.

A minute later, things went horribly wrong for the Gills as Josh Gowling was ruled to have pulled down Murray in the box and was promptly red-carded but Alan Julian stood tall to block Murray's spot-kick and keep his side in the game.

Attendance: 7997 (visitors 1206)

Gillingham:Alan Julian, Barry Fuller, Josh Gowling, Darren Dennehy (Tom Wynter 46), John Nutter, Adam Miller (Simeon Jackson 60), Curtis Weston, Danny Jackman, Andy Barcham, Rene Howe (Chris Dickson 72), Dennis Oli

Subs not used: Simon Royce, Stuart Lewis, Kevin Maher, Mark Bentley.

Brighton:Peter Brezovan, Adam El-Abd, Kazenga LuaLua (Ashley Barnes 59), Diego Arismendi (Alan Navarro 69), Glenn Murray, Inigo Calderon, Andrew Crofts, Adam Virgo, Elliott Bennett, Gavin Hoyte, Lee Hendrie (Gary Dicker 79).

Subs not used: Tommy Elphick, Mitchell Walker, Sebastien Carole, Chris Holroyd.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.