Skip to main content


17:00 1st October 2011

Charlie Lee


Three goals, all of which came courtesy of poor defending, in the opening 22 minutes proved too much of an uphill struggle for the Gills in front of a sell-out crowd at Kingsmeadow.

In the energy-sapping heat in South-West London the visitors had no answer to some decent attacking play in the first-half although things did improve a little after the break with Charlie Lee pulling one back with a decent strike.

Unfortunately on the day billed as Danny Kedwell's return to his former club, the Gills striker hardly got a look in throughout and after receiving a hero's welcome at the start, the baiting of the forward reached a crescendo as the home goals went in. Although to be fair he did still receive a rousing ovation after the game.

There were no changes to the Gills starting XI with new signing Jo Kuffour starting on the bench, included in the AFC team was former Gillingham midfielder Rashid Yussuff.

The Dons were forced into an early reshuffle when Gareth Gwillim was forced to limp off in the fifth minute, Brett Johnson replaced him.

After a relatively quiet opening, which was mostly spent in the Wimbledon half although there were some tenacious tackles, it was the home side that opened the scoring in the 10th minute. Matt Lawrence failed to deal with a simple looking ball over the top which left Christian Jolley to slot the ball wide of Ross Flitney from the edge of the area.

Two minutes later it was 2-0, Sammy Hatton saw his dipping right-wing cross bravely headed home at the near post by the full-length Jolley.

As Terry Brown's side looked to break forward again almost instantaneously, Garry Richards was booked for upending Luke Moore.

Things got worse for the Gills in the 22nd minute. A scramble on the edge of the area ensued with Richards, Matt Fish and Jolley all trying to get on the ball before Chris Whelpdale putting the harrassed Fish under pressure from the Dons goalscorer and the right-back only managed to set up Jack Midson perfectly to slot home wide of Flitney.

On a blisteringly hot afternoon a 29th minute injury to Luke Moore saw both sides take advantage to get plenty of fluid on board. James Mulley replaced him despite on-pitch treatment.

Jackman, who had earlier fired an effort high over the bar, did force home keeper Seb Brown into a scrambling save from his low left-foot strike in the 32nd minute.

With 37 minutes on the clock the Gills management team made a change, replacing Lawrence with Curtis Weston. The reshuffle saw skipper Andy Frampton move inside to central defence with Danny Jackman reverting to left-back.

Suddenly the Gills seemed to find plenty of space, knocking some decent cross-field passes, unfortunately the front pair of Kedwell and Frank Nouble didn't even have scraps to fight for.

H/T: 3-0

The first chance of the second-half fell to Yussuff in the 48th minute but his low effort from around 20-odd yards drifted wide of Flitney's left-hand post.

Nouble picked up a booking in the 54th minute when Brown made the most of a 'clash' with the on-loan Gillingham forward.

Then a blocked shot from Nouble found its way to Luke Rooney but he somewhat snatched at the ball and his strike flew wide.

The Gills made a second change in the 59th minute when Kuffour came on for his debut, replacing Chris Whelpdale which saw a formation change to 4-3-3.

Just moments later the Gills fluffed a golden opportunity, Weston sent Nouble away down the right and his cross was met by the advancing Kedwell but the striker's header failed to trouble Brown.

Gillingham pulled a goal back in the 67th minute with a fine strike from Charlie Lee. A Jackman cross was laid off by Weston following a defensive header and Lee found the top right-hand corner of Brown's goal from the edge of the area.

Suddenly it was end-to-end, thankfully the Gills were at last getting forward, confidently, regularly and dangerously.

First a Kuffour pass found Rooney but after a bit of neat footwork his shot only succeeded in parting the home fans behind te goal. Then Rooney's low cross was just inches away from the onrushing Kuffour inside the six yards box.

To be truthful Brown in the Wimbledon goal hadn't been overworked up to this point but in the 75th minute he pulled off a terrific double save. Kedwell's shot on the turn was parried by the keeper and when the loose ball came to Kuffour his effort looked destined for the bottom left-hand corner until the keeper got down well to turn the ball aside.

Eleven minutes from time a Nouble pass found the dangerous Rooney, his quick feet took across the home back-line, evading a number of challenges, before a cross-cum-shot was deflected away for a throw-in. Had it gone in it would have been goal of any season - unfortunately it didn't.

In the 84th minute Lee picked up a fifth booking of the campaign for a foul on Yussuff. The Gillingham camp may not be too upset as the midfielder will sit out his suspension when Barnet visit MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Tuesday night in the Johnstone Paints Trophy.

Two minutes later Lewis Montrose replaced Lee in the Gills final change but it wasn't going to change the outcome as the Dons moved above Andy Hessenthaler's side, who drop to ninth in the table, into fourth place.

Attendance: 4606 (776 Gills)

- Brown, Hatton, Gwillim (Johnson 5), S Moore, Stuart, McNaughton, Minshull (Porter 77), Yussuff, Midson, L Moore (Mulley 30), Jolley

Unused subs: Turner, Kiernan

Gills - Flitney, Frampton, Lee (Montrose 86), Richards, Whelpdale (Kuffour 59), Kedwell, Rooney, Lawrence (Weston 37), Fish, Jackman, Nouble

Unused subs: S Payne, Gazzaniga


: Michael Naylor
Assistants: D Margetts (Red), M Scholes (Yellow)
Fourth Official: D Robathan


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.