Skip to main content


18:25 17th December 2011

Nouble 640


Danny Kedwell scored twice as the Gills made it eight games unbeaten with a 4-1 win over 10-man Bristol Rovers at MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

Kedwell netted a penalty in either half to add to goals from Lewis Montrose and man of the match Danny Jackman as the Gills consolidated their play-off spot.

The Gills came into the match two league games without a win following a 0-0 draw at Macclesfield last weekend, and were hoping to mark their final home game of 2011 with three important points.

And they did just that with a confident performance, and although Mustapha Carayol made it 2-1 in the second half, the Gills were too strong - and the visitors' misery was compounded when Cian Bolger was sent off for giving away the second spot-kick.

Manager Andy Hessenthaler was forced into one change as Jo Kuffour was denied permission to play against his parent club, so Frank Nouble took his place up front for the final game of his loan spell before returning to West Ham United.

Rovers also made one solitary change; Eliot Richards replacing Matt Harrold in attack.

The home side made a solid start to the game and very nearly opened the scoring in the fourth minute when a cross from the right found Nouble unmarked inside the six-yard box, but Scott Bevan was on hand to block his powerful effort.

Seconds later it was Charlie Lee who had the keeper stretching, his curling shot into the corner not enough to beat Bevan.

It didn't take too long though before the ball did make its way past the opposing keeper, Jackman providing a fantastic cross from the left flank for Montrose to head home in the eighth minute.

Andy Frampton nearly got in on the act in the 14th minute, but his header from Jackman's cross trickled its way past the post with the keeper stranded.

Lee was again involved four minutes later, but this time it was for a chat with the referee who subsequently booked him for a challenge on Joe Anyinsah - his 10th booking of the season meaning that he now faces a two-match ban.

Rovers came close in the 28th minute when Eliot Richards' header was deflected over, but aside from that and a Craig Stanley free-kick which was blocked, the visitors offered little solace to their travelling support in the first period.

Chris Zebroski was next in the book for a foul on Jack Payne, before Carayol's name was also taken for a late challenge on the Gills midfielder.

Rovers lost their captain Byron Anthony to concussion - Bolger his replacement - but Gills skipper Andy Frampton also had his afternoon curtailed in the first half, limping off with an ankle injury to be replaced by Matt Lawrence.

Five minutes of stoppage time were played in the first half - and the Gills made that count when Nouble played in Montrose and he was tripped, allowing Kedwell to thump home his first penalty.

H/T: 2-0

Rovers started the second half well and pulled a goal back in the 51st minute. Lee's miscontrol presented the ball to Carayol and he took advantage of the space, and despite the best efforts of Richards and Payne to intercept, he slotted the ball beyond the despairing Ross Flitney.

But Gills weathered the storm and almost made it 3-1 when Weston let fly from the edge of the box, but his effort went just wide of Bevan's left-hand post.

Kedwell had a shot blocked from Nouble's cross, but 67 minutes on the clock the Gills extended their lead to 3-1. Nouble's run down the left resulted in a great effort which stung the hands of Bevan, but he could only parry the ball as far as Jackman, who rifled home from just inside the box.

Four minutes later Rovers' afternoon went from bad to worse when Nouble tried to play in Weston and Bolger made a mess of his clearance, and just as Weston shaped to shoot, the on-loan Leicester man tripped him.

Referee Oliver Langford had no hesitation in awarding a penalty and showing Bulger a red card - and Kedwell made no mistake with the spot-kick again.

Jackman almost made it five when his cross came back off the far post, while Nouble's low ball across goal evaded everyone.

Flitney did make one save to keep out Stanley's deflected close-range effort, but the majority of the Gills' biggest home crowd of the season to date left happy after three well-earned points.

Attendance: 7.750 (246 Rovers)

Gills: Flitney, Lee (Fish 78), Richards, Frampton (Lawrence 40), Martin, Weston (Whelpdale 80), J Payne, Montrose, Jackman, Kedwell, Nouble.

Unused subs: Gazzaniga,S Payne

Rovers:Bevan, Sawyer, Woodards, Stanley, Carayol, L Brown, Anthony (Bolger 35), Anyinsah (Norburn 80), Richards, Zebroski (Harrold 78), Dorman.

Unused subs: Smith, Goddard.

Referee: O Langford (West Midlands)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.