Skip to main content


01:20 13th November 2011

Jackman delivers another cross


Gills' never-say-die attitude paid off for the second successive match as they scored again in injury time - this time to secure an FA Cup first round replay against League One Bournemouth.

From 3-1 down with only 20 minutes to go, and seemingly doomed to an early exit they battled back to earn a second chance at Priestfield on Tuesday, 22 November.

First a well-worked free-kick involving Charlie Lee and Luke Rooney ended with Danny Jackman turning to fire a low shot that somehow squirmed through the hands of Cherries' keeper Darryl Flahavan.

It was a just reward for Jackman, whose non-stop performance drew warm praise from manager Andy Hessenthaler in his post-match interview.

But the job wasn't finished, and despite an extra push from the Gills, and some jitters in the Bournemouth defence, it wasn't until the 90th minute that the visitors clinched the crucial equaliser.

A long throw from Lee was guided on Lewis Montrose - an 81st minute substitute for Gills' first goalscorer Jack Payne - and Danny Kedwell drilled the ball home to send the visiting fans into ecstasy.

It was the strikers seventh goal of the campaign. Bournemouth certainly took their time to settle in the early stages before beginning to look like more like a League One side.

But after 20 minutes they took the lead, following a corner conceded by Gills keeper Paulo Gazzaniga, standing in for the injured Ross Flitney.

Gills struggled to clear on-loan Wolves wing-back Scott Malone's corner and eventually Matt Lawrence's clearance found its way to Stephen Purches who cracked home a 20-yarder via the underside of the bar.

Gills equalised for the first time in an unexpected and dramatic fashion after 37 minutes. Jack Payne - back in the side for the first time since coming off injured in the game against Shrewsbury on 3 September - stunned everyone with a dipping volley from about 35 yards which gave Flahavan no chance.

It was his second great strike of the season having netted from around 30-yards at Barnet earlier in the season. Lee Bradbury's side regained their composure after the set-back, but were unable to make the most of their possession.

However, they started the second half with greater conviction and within 15 minutes were two goals ahead. Shortly after dangerman Wes Thomas headed wide from a good position, the Cherries re-took the lead when Stephane Zubar was on hand to hook the ball home after Gazzaniga was unable to hold the ball from Marc Pugh's free kick.

And another minute later it looked all over for the Gills when Thomas was given too much space and he set up Malone to fire into the top corner and make it 3-1.

Having started with a 4-5-1 formation, with Kedwell the lone striker, Andy Hessenthaler changed it to a 4-4-2 with the introduction of Dennis Oli at the expense of Chris Whelpdale.

Only five minutes later the Gills boss the new approach paid off and the come-back was under way with Jackman's goal, setting up a memorable finale.

The manager, who praised his players' battling character, will be hoping they don't leave it quite so late in the replay on Tuesday week on home soil but had done enough to ensure they went into the hat for the second round draw

Attendance: 4,282 (376 Gills)

Bournemouth - Flahavan, Cummings, Barrett, Thomas, Symes, Arter, Pugh, Malone, Francis, Purches, Zubar

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Fletcher, Taylor, Molesley, Lindsey, Carmichael, Ward

Gillingham - Gazzaniga, Frampton, Lee, Whelpdale (Oli 66), J Payne (Montrose 81), Kedwell, Martin, Rooney (S Payne 77), Lawrence, Fish, Jackman

Unused substitutes: King, Rance, Essam

Officials -

Referee: Dave Phillips
Assistant Referees: P.Rees & R.Hyde
Fourth Official: C.Lymer


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.