Skip to main content


22:35 22nd November 2011

Stefan Payne Action 640x480


The Gills booked their spot in the second round of the FA Cup with a 3-2 win over League One Bournemouth.

Andy Hessenthaler's men dominated the first half at Priestfield and deservedly went in at half-time in front thanks to Curtis Weston's superb long-range strike.

Skipper Andy Frampton - back from suspension - inadvertently levelled the scores when he diverted Scott Malone's cross past Ross Flitney as the Cherries made an electric start to the second half.

But the home side weathered the storm and restored their lead through Garry Richards before sub Stefan Payne's well-taken strike booked the Gills a trip to Leyton Orient in round two on December 3, despite Harry Arter's late free-kick.

Gills manager Andy Hessenthaler made four changes to his side from Saturday's 2-1 win at Aldershot - three of them enforced.

Midfielder Danny Jackman missed out through injury, while Jo Kuffour and Frank Nouble were not allowed to play as part of the terms of their loan deals.

Lewis Montrose, Weston and Dennis Oli replaced them, while Frampton came in for Matt Lawrence in defence.

Bournemouth - also missing the ineligible Steve Cook, Wes Fogden and Charlie Sheringham - named the same side from the first clash 10 days ago.

Gills made a bright start and Darryl Flahavan had to come out of his box to cut off a ball through to Danny Kedwell, before having to keep out a routine long-range effort from Jack Payne.

Weston struck a much fiercer effort in the ninth minute, but again Flahavan was untroubled, and the lively Weston was soon causing problems down the Gills left when he cut inside his man but Bournemouth managed to clear.

And it was no surprise who was the scorer when the Gills went ahead with 20 minutes gone. Weston won a corner on the right, and Joe Martin's set-piece was cleared out as far as Weston, whose drilled 25-yard shot flew into the bottom corner.

Bournemouth had offered little before the goal, but Gills were grateful for a fine block from Frampton in the 29th minute when Malone looked to find the waiting Wes Thomas.

Michael Symes was the first man booked after a clash with Lee which resulted in a minor spell of handbags on the touchline.

Ross Flitney was called into action three minutes before half-time when Simon Francis and Marc Pugh combined down the right and Francis skipped into the area, only to see his shot deflected wide by the Gills keeper at his near post.

The visitors went close again as Thomas met a Malone cross but his effort could only loop harmlessly into the Rainham End.

The Gills made a half-time change with Stefan Payne on for Chris Whelpdale - and the home side had the first chance of the half when Martin's free-kick went over the top.

Lee had to be alert to clear a dangerous Francis cross, before Harry Arter's long-range effort sailed wide of the post as the Cherries had their best spell of the game.

Stefan Payne was soon causing problems at the other end though, getting the ball on the left flank and cutting inside, but Flahavan palmed his low shot away.

But the Cherries were level on 54 minutes when Malone skipped past Lee down the left and his low cross looped into the net off Frampton - and it almost got worse just a minute later when Malone got free again but Thomas diverted this low cross wide of the target.

Flitney then made a great punch under pressure from an inswinging Pugh corner - and then as the Gills failed to clear, he made an even better save from the same player, rushing off his line to beat the ball away.

Pugh then saw another shot deflected wide, before Jack Payne was booked for a foul on Arter - and then Cummins was also carded for pulling back Lee on the edge of the box.

The lead was restored with 16 minutes left when Lee and Stefan Payne combined down the right-hand side and Lee's low cross took a slight nick on its way through to Richards, who smashed in his third goal of the season.

Bournemouth made two changes just after the goal, Steve Fletcher and Shaun Cooper for Symes and Stephen Purches, before Matt Fish replaced Oli, the former Dover man taking on a more advanced role, with Lee staying at right-back.

And within minutes, the lead was doubled as Stefan Payne notched his first Priestfield goal, latching on to Frampton's long ball to fire low across the keeper into the bottom corner.

Arter blazed wide for the visitors but just as the four minutes of stoppage time was announced, he reduced the arrears with a well-taken free-kick from 25 yards out.

And the Cherries had a chance to take the tie into extra-time after some Pugh trickery set up Fletcher, but he was always stretching and sent the ball wide.

Man of the match Weston was replaced by Dean Rance for his senior debut in stoppage time as Hessenthaler tasted victory in a cup game for the first time since his return to the club.

Gills: Flitney, Lee, Martin, Frampton, Richards, Whelpdale (S Payne 46), Weston (Rance 90), J Payne, Montrose, Oli (Fish 81), Kedwell.

Subs not used: King, Evans, Gazzaniga, Miller.

Bournemouth: Flahavan, Francis, Cummings (Gregory 84), Barrett, Zubar, Pugh, Malone, Arter, Purches (Cooper 76), Symes (Fletcher 76), Thomas.

Subs not used: Jalal, Carmichael, Lindsey, Taylor.

Referee: Fred Graham (Essex)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.