Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Gillingham

Luke Jephcott strikes late on to deny Gills a point at Home Park.

14 August 2021

Match Reports

Report | Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Gillingham

Luke Jephcott strikes late on to deny Gills a point at Home Park.

14 August 2021

Argyle strike late to seal victory in Devon.

Luke Jephcott scored in the dying stages at Home Park on Saturday to deny Gills a point.

The fixture look destined to finish 0-0, but the Argyle forward nestled a shot into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Jamie Cumming, as normal time came to a close.

Gills had opportunities to take the lead in the first 45 minutes, with Michael Cooper denying both Vadaine Oliver and Mustapha Carayol.

Steve Evans made three changes to the team that drew with Lincoln last Saturday. Ryan Jackson, John Akinde and Carayol coming in for Rhys Bennett, Danny Lloyd and Olly Lee respectively.

Bailey Akehurst, Harvey Lintott and Gerald Sithole were all named as subs. Plymouth included former Gills loanee, Jordan Houghton, in their starting XI.

The visitors created the first opportunity of the game on the five minute mark when Carayol and Tutonda combined on the left wing; the former Bristol Rovers defender put in an excellent cross for Oliver who was denied courtesy of a good save from Michael Cooper.

Ryan Broom was brilliantly denied a shot on goal via a last minute block prior to a surging run from Carayol. He sprinted half the length of the field, evading three challenges, before sending a cross into the box. The ball popped out to Dempsey, via Oliver, whose shot was blocked before Cooper palmed away Carayol’s powerful drive for a corner.

Plymouth had a couple of chances in quick succession around the half hour; firstly a looping header from Dan Scarr was brilliantly tipped over by Cumming, before the Gills keeper did well to hold a shot from Pantuche Camara. The same player headed narrowly wide just before the interval when a cross from the left was diverted narrowly wide of the target.


H/T: 0-0


Plymouth started the second half brightly and made a few chances early on. Ryan Broom’s left footed effort from inside the box was placed just wide of the far post with Conor Grant’s free-kick coming off the wall and away to safety shortly afterwards.

On 66 minutes Gills created an opening when a ball forward was headed away as far as Carayol. From distance he tried to find the bottom left corner, but missed the target.

Jephcott nearly caught out Jamie Cumming when a looping header looked to be heading over the top of the Gills keeper, however the on-loan Chelsea man was able to watch the effort land on top of the net.

After a couple of half chances for Camara came and went, Broom nearly gave Argyle the lead with seven minutes to play. His shot took a wicked deflection and with Cumming already committed to his right side, he was relieved to see the ball go over the bar and away for a corner.

However, with a minute or so remaining on the clock, Plymouth took the lead. Jephcott came in from the left side, moved his body across the front of Kyle Dempsey, took a touch and placed an effort into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Cumming.


F/T: 1-0


Plymouth: Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Broom (Gillesphey 90+5), Edwards, Hardie, Grant, Houghton, Galloway, Camara (Randell 90+3), Jephcott.

Unused subs: Burton, Gillesphey, Law, Craske, Tomlinson, Shirley.


Gills: Cumming, Jackson (Bennett 64), Ehmer, Tucker, Tutonda, Phillips, O’Keefe (Lee 61), Dempsey, Carayol, Akinde (Lloyd 55), Oliver

Unused subs: Chapman, Lintott, Akehurst, Sithole.


Referee: Mr C Breakspear


Attendance: 10,864

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account