Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Shrewsbury Town

Gills apply heavy second half pressure against Shrewsbury but can't find a winner at Priestfield.

25 January 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Shrewsbury Town

Gills apply heavy second half pressure against Shrewsbury but can't find a winner at Priestfield.

25 January 2022

Gills forced to settle for a point at ME7.

Gills were unable to find a breakthrough as Shrewsbury held on for a goalless draw at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Tuesday night.

Danny Lloyd, on as a sub in the second half, came the closest to scoring for Steve Lovell’s side as his 30-yard free-kick came inches away from finding the top corner. Unfortunately, it hit the outside of the post before bouncing out for a goal-kick.

Steve Lovell made three changes to the side that lost at Wigan on Saturday. John Akinde and Charlie Kelman both came into the starting XI, having started on the bench in the 3-2 defeat. Dan Phillips returned after his two-match suspension.

Robbie McKenzie came close to giving Gills the lead in the ninth minute. Olly Lee’s corner was curled towards the near post, and it was met by the oncoming McKenzie. However, his header could only find the side netting.

Pontus Dahlberg did brilliantly to deny Elliott Bennett just before the half-hour mark. Bennett’s free-kick from 20 yards was a good one as he managed to curl it over the Gills wall. It looked destined for the back of the net, but the former Swedish international did well to get across and push it wide of the target.

Just before the break, Phillips came close following a short corner routine that had initially been blocked. However, Gills retained possession, and the Watford loanee managed to work his way into a shooting position. He opted to shoot on his left foot, but it missed the target due to a deflection.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-0 Shrewsbury Town


In the 54th minute, Akinde came close to giving Gills the lead. Kelman and Kyle Dempsey linked up well before the Gills skipper's low cross was touched into the path of the big striker Unfortunately, the forward could not find the target as his first time shot went over the bar.

Phillips came even closer to putting the hosts in front after some good work to get away from a defender. He decided to shoot on his left foot and aimed towards Marko Marosi’s near post. However, it went just wide of the goal.

Kelman forced Marosi into a save with a little over 11 minutes before time. Tom Dickson-Peters did well to hold onto the ball inside the Gills half before setting the hosts on their way. The QPR loanee received the ball on the left side before cutting onto his right foot. However, he could not find the back of the net despite his shot having movement on it.

Danny Lloyd came on for Dan Phillips and almost made an immediate impact. Gills won a free-kick 30 yards from goal, and the winger stepped up to take it. He struck the ball powerfully and looked like it could find the top corner. However, it cannoned off the woodwork and away for a goal-kick.

Moments later, Lee came close. He spotted Marosi off his line and tried to lob the Shrewsbury goalkeeper. The effort forced Marosi to backpedal and push the ball over the top of his goal for a corner. Unfortunately, Gills were unable to capitalise.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 0-0 Shrewsbury Town


Gillingham: Dahlberg, Jackson, Tucker, Ehmer, McKenzie, Lee, Phillips (Lloyd 81’), O’Keefe, Dempsey, Akinde (Dickson-Peters 58’), Kelman

Unused Substitutes: Chapman, Tutonda, Bennett, Lintott, Sithole


Shrewsbury Town: Marosi, Leahy, Ebanks-Landell, Pennington, Vela, Udoh, Bowman (Janneh 75’), Ogbeta (Pierre 60’), Davis, Bennett, Nurse (Fornah 76’)

Unused Substitutes: Burgoyne, Pyke, Bloxham, Daniels


Referee: Brett Huxtable


Attendance: 3213 (140)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account