Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 February 2015

The development squad continue their run of good form with a 2-1 win over Bournemouth at Beechings

Goals from Luke Norris and substitute Greg Cundle gave the Gills a 2-1 win over Bournemouth on Tuesday afternoon in the Final Third Development League.

Norris found the bottom corner with a right footed strike on 18 minutes, with Cundle equally as clinical seven minutes from the end with a powerful effort which beat the goalkeeper.

The visitors had drawn level before the break when a cross from the right wing was headed past Glenn Morris.

A strong team was named for the match with Aaron Morris getting an hour under his belt following a hamstring injury.

Joe Martin and Josh Pritchard also featured with Luke Norris partnering Antonio German in attack.

The hosts started brightly and had a couple of half chances with Norris having a shot blocked before Legge's towering header cleared the bar.

Pritchard had an effort cleared off the line on 13 minutes, but shortly after the deadlock was finally broken.

Norris won possession and forced the defence to retreat, he shifted his body to one side and produced a brilliant effort which was too good for the opposing keeper as the ball nestled in the bottom corner.

However the lead was short lived, Bournemouth responding to the opening goal within seven minutes.

A ball down the line found a winger in space, he looked up and delivered a cross to the near post which was headed beyond the outstretched Glenn Morris. There was nothing the keeper to do with the pace of the cross only needing a glancing touch to divert it home.

H/T: 1-1

German shot wide on 52 minutes but chances after that became few and far between as the visitors began to enjoy more of the possession.

However on 75 minutes Freiter had a shot well saved before Cundle, on for Morris, was also thwarted by the Bournemouth stopper.

Two minutes later and Norris came close to registering his second of the match. German's header sat up nicely for the forward but his powerful effort cleared the frame of the goal.

However on 83 minutes Gills did eventually grab their second. A short pass from Freiter took a fortunate ricochet and Cundle took full advantage by unleashing an accurate effort which found its way into the corner.

He nearly wrapped things up on 88 minutes but his solo effort struck the side netting, before McKain's late header was cleared off the line.

F/T: 2-1

Gills: G Morris, Romeo, Legge, McKain, Martin, Pritchard, A Morris (Cundle 61), Linganzi (Webster 46), Freiter, Norris, German.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account