Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 April 2017


Joe Quigley’s first goal for the club helped the Gills battle to a 1-1 draw with promotion-chasing Millwall at the MEMS Priestfield stadium on Saturday. 

Quigley opened the scoring on 67 minutes with a no-nonsense finish inside the box, before Steve Morison levelled just five minutes later from six yards. 

Gills head coach Ady Pennock made one change from last weekend’s defeat at Stadium MK, with Quigley replacing the suspended Bradley Dack.

Both Lee Martin and Josh Wright lined up in midfield against their former club, and there were starts for ex-Gills Joe Martin and Mahlon Romeo in Neil Harris’s starting XI.

The visitors had the first opportunity of the game inside the opening minute, but Aiden O’Brien failed to dispatch Morison’s cross and Tomas Holy, making his third start for the Gills, was able to smother. 

Morison was next to have a shot on 11 minutes, controlling Jed Wallace’s back-heel and curling the ball towards the far corner, but Holy comfortably saved down to his left. 

The Gills began the game on the front foot, and looked to get the ball into the box at every opportunity with Ryan Jackson and Martin supplying the width, and Quigley the target man partnering Cody McDonald.

Shaun Williams had the most clear-cut opportunity to open the scoring with 24 minutes played, but the midfielder’s volley cleared the crossbar with the goal gaping. 

Gillingham dominated possession in the opening half-hour, but it was the Lions who looked most likely to score. 

Harry Cornick was on the receiving end of some crunching tackles, notably from Ben Thompson in the middle of the park, but as the half wore on the intensity dropped down a notch. 

The Gills won a number of successive corners with the half-time whistle approaching, but Millwall were able to clear with headers from Shaun Hutchinson and Byron Webster. 

H/T: 0-0

The visitors won a corner shortly after the restart, but Holy showed great confidence in commanding his area and beating Webster to the ball with a powerful punch. 

Millwall did have the chance to take the lead on 51 minutes through Thompson, but the midfielder dragged his shot wide after cutting in from the left-hand side. 

Bournemouth loanees Quigley and Cornick linked up well on 57 minutes down the right. The move ended with the latter striking on the volley from the apex, but the ball whistled past Tom King’s post. 

Gillingham took the lead on 67 minutes through Quigley. The visitors failed to clear Martin’s corner and the loanee popped up at the back post to smash the ball into the back of the net, scoring his first goal for the club. 

Substitute Lee Gregory had the perfect chance to equalise for Millwall just two minutes later. The Lions’ top scorer took the ball around Holy, but fluffed his shot wide from just four yards when it looked easier to hit the target. 

Gillingham’s lead lasted just five minutes. Holy made a great save to deny Wallace low to his left, but Morison was first to react to the ball and coolly finished from six yards to get his team back in the game. 

Morison had the chance to give the Lions the lead on 76 minutes, but headed over from six yards having had a free header.

The Gills were conceding late pressure in and around the penalty box as the game drew to a close, however defended valiantly to hold on for a well-earned point. 

 F/T: 1-1

Gillingham: Holy, Jackson, Ehmer, Oshilaja, Rehman, Martin, Wright, Byrne (Osadebe, 79), Cornick (Hessenthaler, 75), McDonald, Quigley
Unused subs: Nelson, Donnelly, Parker, List, Muldoon

Millwall: King, Martin, Hutchinson, Williams, Worrall (Onyedinma, 87), Thompson, Romeo, Wallace, Webster, Morison, O’Brien (Gregory, 65)
Unused subs: Girling, Cooper, Cummings, Abdou, Butcher

Referee: Charles Breakspear
Attendance: 7,221 (2,262 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account