Improve your health with the Gills
Fit 2 Tackle is our new community programme to improve the health of people in Medway at high risk of Type 2 diabetes.
The Gillingham Football Club Community Trust have joined forces with Medway Council’s Sports Development team, the A Better Medway campaign, Organic Training, and the University of Kent Sport to help kick start healthy lifestyles for men and women keen to get fit and improve their health.
Using the power of football as an extra motivation, participants will embark on a FREE 12-week programme of workshops and fitness sessions to help them lose weight and understand how to adopt a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
The focus will be in the impact of the activity and multiple health benefits rather than just the weight loss, but there will be a prize for the participant who loses the most weight.
• 10 weekday workshops/theory sessions delivered over 12 weeks at Medway Park by A Better Medway. The workshops will be followed by a low intensity activity session.
• One weekly physical activity session themed around football at Strood Sports Centre run by Gillingham FC Community Trust.
• Free pedometer for every participant
• Prize ceremony where members will receive a goodie bag including a six week Medway Sport membership and ticket to an upcoming Gillingham FC game, whilst the Biggest Loser will win a signed Gillingham FC shirt.
• In addition to their six-week free Medway Sport membership, participants will be signposted to regular football and other activity sessions that they can continue with to remain active.
Workshops and fitness sessions will be delivered on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the programme.
Who can take part?
The programme is targeted at anyone who is keen to lose weight and benefit from a healthier lifestyle, especially those with a BMI of between 30 and 40. Any GFC fans or members of the wider Medway community aged 25 to 55 who are interested in taking part can apply to join the programme.
The first 20 recruits will embark on their weight-loss journey from February 2017. In order to achieve genuine success from the programme, it is recommended that participants commit to all sessions over the 12 weeks.
Find out more
An information session is being held at MEMS Priestfield stadium at 2pm on Saturday, February 25 ahead of the Gills Sky Bet League One home game against Southend. To register to attend the session and for more information about the programme email email@example.com or call 01634 336643.