Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Gills reach 50-point target in stalemate with Donny.

7 April 2018

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Gills reach 50-point target in stalemate with Donny.

7 April 2018

Steve Lovell's side keep clean sheet in 0-0 draw with Doncaster.

The Gills ended their three game losing run courtesy of a 0-0 draw against Doncaster which saw the team reach the 50-point mark.

Steve Lovell made four changes to the side that lost 4-0 at Southend as Rhys Murphy came in for his debut whilst Navid Nasseri, Ben Nugent and Conor Wilkinson also came into the starting eleven.

Elliott List and Tom Eaves provided the attacking options from the bench.

It was a quiet opening to the game with Doncaster having the better of the possession and it was John Marquis who had the first real opportunity.

He latched onto a mix up between the Gills defence but luckily for the home side he could not connect with his shot and fired well over the bar.

Donny continued their early pressure and in the 10th minute were only a touch away from taking the lead as Marquis’ dangerous low cross evaded everybody in the penalty area.

The away side’s pressure continued as Tommy Rowe weaved his way into the penalty area but he was unable to convert as he shot over the bar.

The Gills carved out their first real opportunity in the 21st minute as Wilkinson’s flick on was met by Nugent whose header towards goal was cleared away from goal for a corner.

Gillingham made a change to their formation shortly after as Max Ehmer was pushed up into the midfielder to create a 4-4-2 diamond set-up.

Doncaster had another opportunity in the 37th minute as Nasseri’s pass was wayward and Rowe latched onto it. He drove to the edge of the home side’s box but again fired over.

H/T: 0-0

The home side made two substitutions at the break as top scorer Tom Eaves replaced Murphy and Frank Moussa was brought on for Nasseri.

The Gills started the second half brightly and some good interplay on the left set Bradley Garmston away and his cross to the back post was headed onto the roof of the net by Wilkinson.

Rowe once again had an effort at goal as his curling low shot from the edge of the box whistled just wide of Tomas Holy’s post.

Once Rowe had his chance the game became very cagey as both sides battled for possession with neither side creating anything clear cut.

A Wagstaff cross fell to the feet of Eaves in the centre of the box and as he readied himself to shoot a Doncaster defender nipped in and cleared the ball away.

Doncaster had a golden chance to take the lead in the 83rd minute as Holy was unable to claim the corner; it led to a ricochet on the edge of the Gills six yard box but fortunately the keeper made up for it by saving the eventual shot.

The away side created another heart in mouth moment for Gillingham at the death as Rodney Kongolo’s low cross was latched onto by Alfie May who had the goal at his mercy.

The Gills were once again fortunate as a poor touch allowed Wagstaff to tackle May and make a clearance.

The game ended scoreless as the Gills reached the 50 point-mark for the season with six games to increase that tally, beginning on Tuesday at home to Blackburn.

F/T: 0-0

Gillingham: Holy (GK); Ehmer, Zakuani, Nugent; Wagstaff, Hessenthaler, Nasseri (Moussa 46), Garmston; Murphy (Eaves 46), Wilkinson (List 73)

Subs: Hadler (GK), Lacey, Ogilvie, Reilly

Doncaster: Marosi (GK); Mason, Wright, Baudry; Blair (Kongolo 81), McCullough) (Butler 83), Whiteman, Rowe, Coppinger; Marquis, Beestin (May 73)

Subs: Lawlor (GK), Williams, Boyle, Khemis

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account