Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Lovell: "The damage was done in the first half"

Gills boss reacts following Bury defeat.

24 February 2018

Lovell quick to praise recent form but admitted first half display was disappointing at Bury.

Steve Lovell admitted he was disappointed with his side’s first half performance following Gills 2-1 defeat against Bury at Gigg Lane on Saturday.

Neil Danns and Harry Bunn scored within the opening 25 minutes of the game to give the visitors a mountain to climb following the interval, and although Connor Ogilvie pulled one back, Gills were unable to force a late equaliser despite heavy pressure in the closing stages.

Speaking after the game Steve said: “I thought it was most probably the worst 45 minutes since we took over, but you have to give credit to Bury. They had a a really good go, caused us problems in the first half and they thoroughly deserved to go 2-0 up.

“It was disappointing really after the good run we have had but all good runs come to an end and we now need to dust ourselves down and get ready for next week.

“I think in the second half, the last 30 minutes, we put pressure on and we had a number of opportunities where we perhaps should have got a point out of the game.

“We created a number of opportunities but just couldn’t take them.”

The Gills boss credited the opposition for the way they played but was quick to point out how good his players have been in recent weeks.

He added: “The boys have done brilliant, all of them, we’ve had a really good run. You’re not going to perform miracles every weekend. Bury are fighting for their lives and over the 90 minutes I think they deserved their three points.

“The damage was done in the first half by conceding two goals. We are not too disappointed, we are to not have won the game, but we’ll go and work hard ready for next week.

“I’m not going to get carried away with one 45 minutes of football, all I will do is take the plusses out of our second half performance.”

Advertisement block