Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 2-1 Morecambe

Vadaine Oliver scores a late penalty as Gills seal 2-1 win over Morecambe at MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

21 August 2021

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 2-1 Morecambe

Vadaine Oliver scores a late penalty as Gills seal 2-1 win over Morecambe at MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

21 August 2021

Big V gets off the mark as Gills seal first win of the season.

Vadaine Oliver got his first goal of the season as his second-half penalty secured Gills all three points as they beat Morecambe 2-1 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Saturday.

The penalty came from Danny Lloyd being tripped up inside the penalty area, and Oliver stepped up to smash his spot-kick down the middle.

Mustapha Carayol had put Gillingham in front in the third minute as he rifled a shot past Jokull Andresson from 30 yards out.

Cole Stockton brought the visitors back on level terms as he did well to get into the box before sending a shot across goal into the bottom corner.

Steve Evans gave Dan Adshead his Gills debut after he joined on-loan from Norwich during the week.

Ryan Jackson returned to the starting XI after injury whilst Mustapha Carayol also came back into the XI.

Carayol almost put Gills in front during the opening seconds. Jackson did well to attack the right-hand side before pulling it back towards the six-yard box. However, his attempt at goal went just wide.

It did not take Carayol long to rectify that miss as he scored a 30-yard thunderbolt soon after. Gills won a free-kick from distance, and Ben Reeves laid it off to the Gambian winger. He hit it first time and smashed it into the back of the net, leaving Jokull Andresson with no chance.

Arthur Gnahoua tested Jamie Cumming in the tenth minute, but his shot from the edge of the area was comfortably saved by the Chelsea loanee.

In the 25th minute, Cole Stockton brought the Shrimps level. He did well to work his way around the box before running in and creating space. He shot across the goal and found the bottom corner with a strong effort.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 1-1 Morecambe


Sam Lavelle came close to heading the visitors in front at the start of the second half. A Morecambe corner towards the front post was met by the head of the defender, but he found the wrong side of the netting.

After some great pressing, Gills forced Andresson to mis-kick the ball. It fell to Kyle Dempsey, who did well to run towards the penalty area. Carayol cut in on his right foot and tried a shot, but it was blocked. The second effort fell to Dempsey, who headed towards the goal, but that was blocked by a Morecambe head.

Danny Lloyd, a second-half substitute, tested Andresson from distance in the 71st minute. His low drilled effort forced the visitor’s keeper to get down low and palm it away. Vadaine Oliver was the first to the loose ball, but Gills were unable to create another chance.

In the 78th minute, Gillingham were awarded a penalty. Jackson’s long throw eventually found its way to Danny Lloyd, and he was tripped inside the box, leaving the referee no choice but to award a penalty.

Oliver was the man to step up and smashed his penalty down the middle as Andresson went to his left.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 2-1 Morecambe


Gillingham: Cumming, Jackson, Ehmer, Tucker, McKenzie, O’Keefe, Adshead (Lloyd 51’), Dempsey, Reeves ~(Lee 63), Carayol, Oliver

Unused Substitutes: Chapman, Bennett, Lintott, Akehurst


Morecambe: Andresson, Leigh, O’Connor, Lavelle, Jones (McLoughlin 69’), Diagouraga, Stockton, McPake (McDonald 46’), Phillips (Duffus 81’), Cooney, Gnahoua

Unused Substitutes: Roche, Delaney, McCalmont, Wootton


Referee: Tom Nield


Attendance: 3789 (111 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account