Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 3-1 Ipswich Town

Vadaine Oliver nets a brace, and Jack Tucker scores first ever Gills league goal in 3-1 win over Ipswich.

6 March 2021

Gills get first ever home win against the Tractor Boys.

A Vadaine Oliver brace ensured Gills defeated Ipswich 3-1 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

His second goal was the pick of the bunch as he cut in on his right foot before rifling a curling shot at the far post, which left Tomas Holy rooted to the spot.

Jack Tucker had initially given Gills the lead in the sixth minute. Tom O'Connor's free-kick was flicked on by Robbie Cundy into the path of Tucker. The academy graduate thumped a volley into the back of the net for his first-ever league goal.

Luke Chambers equalised controversially. Ipswich won a free-kick which the Gills benched believed was the wrong decision. Chambers rose highest for the set-piece, and his header hit the underside of the bar and bounced into the back of the net.

Oliver scored his first in the 73rd minute, thanks to immense work from Kyle Dempsey. He regained possession before being played down the line by Jordan Graham. His cross was a perfect one, and Oliver was on hand to smash it first time past Holy.

Oliver's second, and Gillingham's third, came ten minutes from time to secure all three points.


Steve Evans named an unchanged starting XI following Tuesday night’s win against MK Dons. He made one change to the substitutes bench, as Alex MacDonald returned from illness to replace Henry Woods.

Former Gills goalkeeper Tomas Holy started against his former club.

In the sixth minute, Jack Tucker scored his first league goal. Jordan Graham was fouled outside the penalty area, and Tom O’Connor chipped a ball into the box. Robbie Cundy was on hand to flick it towards the back post, and Tucker was left unmarked and thumped a volley past Holy.

In the 14th minute, there was a massive penalty shout for Gills. Graham was driving into the penalty area and went down as he got inside. The referee blew his whistle but awarded a free-kick as he believed the contact was just outside the box.

Olly Lee rattled the post in the 18th minute. He picked the ball up and did well to put it onto his left foot before striking an effort that hit the inside of the post, and it dribbled away from danger.

Josh Harrop saw his close-range effort blocked by Tucker. James Norwood drilled a ball across the box, and it fell to Harrop. He created some space for himself and blasted an effort towards the goal. Fortunately, Tucker was on hand to bravely block the shot.

In the 28th minute, Tottenham loanee Troy Parrott hit the post. A cross into the box was met by an acrobatic effort from the forward. However, with Jack Bonham scrambling to save it, the ball hit the base of the woodwork.

Tucker was at the heart of the action again, this time denying Norwood. The Ipswich striker got in behind and drove towards the goal. As he shot, Tucker came sliding in to brilliantly block the shot, denying the visitors a massive chance.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 1–0 Ipswich Town


Vadaine Oliver had the first chance of the second half. Connor Ogilvie did brilliantly winning the ball and then put O’Connor in behind the full-back. He played it across to Oliver, but his effort went wide of the post.

Oliver had another chance in the 50th minute. Tucker aimed a ball towards the penalty area, and it was chested down by Ogilvie. It fell into the path of the striker, but his effort was blocked.

Lee had a great chance in the 63rd minute. A Ryan Jackson long throw was flicked on by Oliver into the path of Lee. However, his header at goal lacked power, and was easy for Holy to claim.

In the 65th minute, Luke Chambers equalised for Ipswich. A free-kick towards the back post was met by the head of the Ipswich captain. It hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the back of the net.

Oliver gave Gills the lead in the 73rd minute. Kyle Dempsey was at the heart of the action as he intercepted an Ipswich pass. Dempsey laid it off to Graham before receiving the ball down the line. He drove towards the penalty area before curling a pinpoint cross to Oliver, who struck it first time, and into the back of the net.

Oliver had a huge chance moments later but saw his shot quickly closed down by the Ipswich keeper.

The striker got his second of the game moments later in magnificent fashion. Gills won the ball, and it got played into Oliver. He cut it onto his right foot before rifling a curling effort towards the far post, which left Holy rooted to the spot.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 3–1 Ipswich Town


Gillingham: Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Cundy, Ogilvie, O’Keefe, Dempsey, Graham (MacDonald 90’), Lee (Akinde 80’), O’Connor (McKenzie 90’), Oliver

Unused Substitutes: Bastien, Willock, Johnson, Morton

Ipswich Town: Holy, Nsiala, Chambers, Wilson, Kenlock, Dozzell (Jackson 74’), Bishop, Bennetts (Edwards 68’), Parrott (Downes 68’), Harrop (Sears 68’), Norwood

Unused Substitutes: Cornell, Woolfenden, Ward


Referee: Graham Salisbury

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account