Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Swindon Town 1-3 Gillingham

Vadaine Oliver adds two more goals to his season total as Gills come from behind to defeat Swindon at the County Ground.

13 March 2021

Gills fight back in the second half to claim maximum points in Wiltshire.

Gillingham came from behind against Swindon to take all three points back to Kent thanks to a brace from Vadaine Oliver, and skipper Kyle Dempsey.

Oliver bagged his second brace in two weeks as Gillingham coasted past John Sheridan’s men, thanks to a brilliant second half performance, keeping them in the race for the play-off spots.

The three points have boosted the Gills’ top six credentials as they look to make a late charge. The result had left opponents, Swindon, in the relegation zone.

The opening 45 minutes produced few clear cut opportunities, with Stuart O’Keefe’s header, following Connor Ogilvie’s blocked shot, proving to be the best chance for the visitors which was comfortably dealt with by Connal Trueman.

The hosts forced Jack Bonham into a fairly routine save when Scott Twine’s acrobatic goal bound effort required his attention.

As the half came to a close, seemingly without any goals, Swindon were first to strike. Their talisman, Brett Pitman, opened the scoring in the 41st minute with a smart finish after setting himself with a clever first touch. He created space for an effort and guided a shot to Bonham’s left side which the keeper could do nothing about.


H/T: 1-0


Gillingham started the second half the better of the two sides with Vadaine Oliver unable to make the most of a Jordan Graham cross straight after the interval.

The introduction of Alex MacDonald and John Akinde reinvigorated Steve Evans’ attack, and the substitutions paid off in the 59th minute as Akinde, following Ogilvie’s powerful header, rattled the crossbar with an excellent header, leaving Oliver an opportunity to pounce at the far post to make it 1-1. He was injured in the process, but was able to continue.

Oliver didn’t have to wait long for his second either as he latched onto a loose pass in the final third of the field, skipped past the goalkeeper and slotted home from a tight angle just four minutes later.

Kyle Dempsey ensured that the points would return back to Kent in the 68th minute with a free-kick from twenty yards out. Dempsey’s strike took a deflection leaving the Swindon stopper flat footed, and the Gills 3-1 in front.

Steve Evans’ side could have made it four when Jordan Graham raced down the right hand side before finding the head of Oliver just outside the six-yard box, who couldn’t make it a hat-trick as his header just floated over the crossbar.

Jack Bonham made certain that the score would stay 3-1, denying sub Tyler Smith, who had skipped past the Gills’ defence in what was a spirited effort in the dying moments from the hosts, having made all five changes at the same time earlier in the half.

Gills held on though to secure victory, meaning they now have 50 points.


F/T: 1-3


Swindon: Trueman, Caddis, Conroy (Curran 77), Broadbent (Odimayo 77), Thompson (Iandalo 77), J Grant (Payne 77), Lyden, Garrick, Twine, A Grant (Smith 78)

Unused subs: Missilou, Matthews


Gillingham: Bonham, Jackson, Cundy, Tucker, Ogilvie, Dempsey, O’Keefe (Woods 90), Graham (McKenzie 90), Lee (Akinde 52), O’Connor (MacDonald 46), Oliver.

Unused subs: Bastien, Willock, Johnson


Referee: Mr James Bell  

Advertisement block