Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Fleetwood Town

Gills control proceedings at ME7, but are forced to settle for a point.

18 April 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Fleetwood Town

Gills control proceedings at ME7, but are forced to settle for a point.

18 April 2022

The Gills remain clear of the relegation places in Sky Bet League 1 following a goalless draw at Priestfield.

Gills applied heavy pressure but were unable to find a winner in the 0-0 draw against Fleetwood at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Easter Monday.

Neil Harris made one change to the starting XI that drew to Cheltenham on Good Friday as club captain Stuart O’Keefe returned to the side. He replaced Ben Reeves, who dropped to the bench.

Ellis Harrison had the first chance of the game in the 10th minute. Dan Batty’s attempted cross was blocked, but the loose ball fell to Harrison on the edge of the box. He tried to find the near corner on the half volley, but it bounced wide with Aaron Chapman having it covered.

In the 34th minute, Charlie Kelman had a great chance to put Gills in front. Ryan Jackson’s cross towards the six-yard box was met by the head of Kelman, who rose highest. However, his header lacked the power to beat Alex Cairns, who made a comfortable save.

Kelman was involved again moments later as he became provider. He put a cross into the box that was met by Vadaine Oliver, but he could not get enough contact on the ball to get enough power to force Cairns into a testing save.

Callum Camps came close for the visitors just before half-time. He had the time and space to shoot from 25 yards, and he did exactly that. His effort took a deflection on its way to the goal as it went just wide.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-0 Fleetwood Town


Gills made a change at the break as Reeves, who scored at Cheltenham, replaced O’Keefe.

Oliver came close in the 58th minute as his speculative effort was caught by Cairns. Kelman dinked a ball towards the centre of the box, and the second ball was met by Oliver trying to flick it goalward with the heel of his boot.

Gills were forced into a second change as Robbie McKenzie hobbled off and was replaced by David Tutonda.

In the 79th minute, both teams had a player sent off following a collision on the halfway line. Kelman and Paddy Lane both went for the ball in a 50/50 situation, where they both collided with one another. The referee believed it was worthy of both players being sent off, with Lane coming off the worst of the two.

Tutdona forced a save out of Cairns in the 87th minute as he was allowed to run towards the edge of the area. He shot with his right foot, but it was comfortable for the visiting keeper.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 0-0 Fleetwood Town


Gillingham: Chapman, Jackson, Ehmer, Tucker, Masterson (Phillips 90’), McKenzie (Tutonda 71’), Lee, O’Keefe (Reeves 46’), Thompson, Oliver, Kelman

Unused Substitutes: Dahlberg, Maghoma, Chambers, Dickson-Peters


Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Jules, Harrop (Pilkington 75’), Harrison, Camps, Batty (Boyle 90’), Johnson, Lane, Nsiala, Hayes (Garner 90’), McAdam

Unused Substitutes: O’Hara, Butterworth, Baggley, Bird


Referee: James Linington


Attendance: 8436 (90 Fleetwood fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account