Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Gills put in a season's best performance to take a point at home to promotion chasing Sheffield Wednesday.

19 March 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Gills put in a season's best performance to take a point at home to promotion chasing Sheffield Wednesday.

19 March 2022

Gills climbed out of the Sky Bet League 1 relegation places following a 0-0 draw against Sheffield Wednesday.

Stuart O’Keefe led the charge with a man of the match performance as Gillingham put in a resilient effort to hold Sheffield Wednesday to a goalless draw at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

Gills had good chances to win the game through Vadaine Oliver and Charlie Kelman, but they were denied by Bailey Peacock-Farrell on multiple occasions.

Jack Tucker had to make a heroic goal-line clearance to deny Lee Gregory with a little under ten minutes remaining as the Gills gave everything to come away with a result.

Aaron Chapman and Ryan Jackson both returned to the Gillingham starting XI. Chapman came back in after missing the two last games due to injury, while Pontus Dahlberg dropped to the bench.

Gills managed to carve out an opportunity straight from the kick-off. The ball forward was won by Vadaine Oliver, who managed to latch onto his own flick-on. He tried his luck with a speculative half volley, but it was straight at Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Gills skipper Stuart O’Keefe led the team’s resilient effort during the opening 25 minutes, and he almost provided the opening goal. He did well to bring Jack Tucker’s header under control before creating some space by getting away from a couple of Sheffield Wednesday defenders. He curled the ball towards the six-yard box, where Charlie Kelman was able to rise highest. Unfortunately, his header could not find the target as he was unable to make definitive contact.

Moments later, Kelman and Oliver forced Peacock-Farrell into a save. Gills broke forward after the QPR loanee regained possession, and David Tutonda eventually laid it off to the striker. Kelman struck a strong effort, which Peacock-Farrell could not keep a hold of. It fell nicely for Oliver, who struck it first time. However, the oncoming Sheffield Wednesday keeper managed to make the save.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday


Gills almost took the lead seconds into the second half through Kelman. Tutonda played a long ball forward, which went over the Sheffield Wednesday defence. There was hesitation between the defender and goalkeeper, and Kelman managed to sneak his way onto the ball.

He prodded it towards the goal, but the oncoming Peacock-Farrell made big contact with the ball to keep it out.

There was a scary moment just after the 50th minute as O’Keefe and Oliver had a clash of heads. The stretcher was initially brought onto the field of play as there was concern for the well-being of O'Keefe. Fortunately, the stretcher was not needed, and the Gills captain was able to continue playing with a cut underneath his right eye.

O’Keefe was the next man to have a Gills chance on the hour, as the ball fell to him just inside the Sheffield Wednesday penalty area. However, his effort took a slight block, which took the power off the shot as it proved to be a comfortable save for Peacock-Farrell.

Barry Bannan had the visitor's first attempt on target of the game in the 73rd minute. The Scotland international was allowed to approach the Gills penalty area before curling a shot around a defender and towards the bottom corner. It looked as if it may be finding the bottom corner, but Chapman did well to get down and push it behind for a corner.

Moments later, the Wednesday captain came close again, as his curling effort from 20 yards went just over Chapman’s crossbar.

In the 83rd minute, the heroic defending of Jack Tucker kept the Gills level. A ball over the top of the Gillingham defence allowed Lee Gregory to capitalise. He prodded it beyond Chapman, and it looked like it was going to cross the line. However, Tucker came charging in to throw his body at the ball to keep it off the line.

Oliver almost won the game in the dying seconds as he managed to capitalise on a long ball forward. He tried to loop his effort over Peacock-Farrell and into the bottom corner, but it went just wide of the target.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 0–0 Sheffield Wednesday


Gillingham: Chapman, Jackson, Tucker, Ehmer, Masterson, Tutonda, O’Keefe, Lee, Thompson, Kelman, Oliver

Unused Substitutes: Dahlberg, Lintott, Maghoma, Akehurst, Chambers, Dickson-Peters


Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Hunt (Mendez-Laing 61’), Storey, Hutchinson, Dunkley, Johnson, Byers (Dean 79’), Luongo, Bannan, Gregory, Paterson (Berahino 61’)

Unused Substitutes: Wildsmith, Iorfa, Kamberi, Sow


Referee: Gavin Ward


Attendance: 7433 (3295 away supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account