Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Crawley Town 0-0 Gillingham

Gills put in a much improved performance but are forced to settle for a draw at the Broadfield Stadium.

22 November 2022

The points are shared at Broadfield Stadium.

Gillingham put in a much improved performance on Tuesday evening but were held to a goalless draw against Crawley Town at Broadfield Stadium.

Joe Gbode made his first professional start as he led the Gillingham attack alongside Mikael Mandron. Hakeeb Adelakun was also named in the starting XI along with club captain Stuart O’Keefe, who came off the bench in the defeat at Newport.

Jack Powell came close to giving the hosts' an early lead. Shaun Williams committed a late foul just over 20 yards from the goal, and Powell stepped up to take the free-kick. He tried to curl his effort towards the left top corner but just missed the target as Jake Turner was left rooted to his spot.

Dom Jefferies had a good chance in the 14th minute. A free-kick towards the penalty area sat nicely for the midfielder to turn and shoot on the half-volley. However, his effort looped over the crossbar.

Gbode had a golden chance to put Gillingham in front shortly after. Cheye Alexander’s cross into the box was headed down by Shaun Williams into the path of the 17-year-old. He struck it first-time but was off balance and as a result could not find the target as it beat Ellery Balcombe and the post.


HALF-TIME: Crawley Town 0-0 Gillingham


Just short of the hour, Neil Harris made a trio of changes. Ben Reeves, Lewis Walker and Scott Kashket all came on as they replaced Mikael Mandron, Adelalkun and Gbode respectively.

O’Keefe had a massive chance a couple of minutes later. Robbie McKenzie played the ball into the penalty area, and the ball found its way to the Gills skipper, who shot on the turn. His effort was on target but was within the reach of Balcombe, who got down to get a hand on the shot.

In the 75th minute, Gills needed a player in the six-yard box to put them in front. After Walker saw his initial cut back blocked, he picked up the second ball. He then drilled it across the six-yard box with it begging for a player to get a touch on it. Unfortunately, no one was on hand to make the contact.

Jake Turner was called into action for the first time in the dying stages as Jake Hessenthaler was allowed to get into the penalty area before shooting across goal. His effort was straight at Turner, who pushed it away before Gills cleared their lines.


FULL-TIME: Crawley Town 0-0 Gillingham


Crawley Town: Balcombe, Francomb, Craig, Lynch, Powell, Nichols (Fellows 65’), Nadesan, Telford (Oteh 65’), Tsaroulla, Jenks (Tilley 57’), Hessenthaler

Unused Substitutes: Robson, Johnson, Ransom


Gillingham: Turner, Alexander, Ehmer, Wright, McKenzie, Williams, O’Keefe, Jefferies (MacDonald 71’), Adelakun (Reeves 58’), Gbode (Kashket 59’), Mandron (Walker 58’)

Unused Substitutes: Holtam, Baggott, Green


Referee: James Oldham


Advertisement block