Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-2 Mansfield Town

Gills defeated at ME7.

17 September 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-2 Mansfield Town

Gills defeated at ME7.

17 September 2022

Mansfield take all three points from Priestfield.

Gills fell to a 2-0 defeat against Mansfield Town at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Saturday afternoon with the visitors netting both of their goals in the first-half.

Neil Harris made two changes following the draw at Grimsby in midweek. Haji Mnoga returned to the starting XI, having served his suspension, while Lewis Walker led the line with Mikael Mandron. Scott Kashket missed out due to injury, while Ryan Law dropped to the bench.

Lucas Akins had the first chance of note in the 11th minute. He managed to latch onto a long ball forward and made his way towards the Gillingham penalty area. He cut back onto his left foot before firing his effort across the goal. Fortunately for the hosts, it was high and wide of the target.

Akins gave Mansfield the lead six minutes later. Kellan Gordon curled the ball into the box, and Akins did well to direct the ball into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Glenn Morris.

Elkan Baggott forced Christy Pym into a save in the 26th minute. Shaun Williams floated a corner towards the penalty spot, where Baggott managed to direct his header goalward. However, Pym caught the effort.

The visitors were awarded a penalty after a mix-up between Morris and Mnoga as a Mansfield player managed to get in between the two. There was a coming together between the three players, and the referee pointed to the spot.

Akins took the penalty but was denied by a good save from Morris. The Mansfield forward aimed for Morris’ bottom left corner, but the Gills keeper did well to get down and palm it away.

George Lapslie made up for the penalty miss as he doubled Mansfield’s lead. He managed to go between two Gillingham defenders and made his way towards the penalty area. He rounded the oncoming Morris before slotting the ball into an empty net.

Stephen McLaughlin came inches away from making it three. The ball was played to the wing back in acres of space on the left side of the penalty area. He aimed his shot towards the far corner as it beat Morris, but it also went beyond the post by a few inches.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-2 Mansfield Town


After a quiet start to the half, Ben Reeves had Gills first opportunity to test Pym in the 70th minute. His curling effort from 20 yards was at a comfortable height for the goalkeeper who comfortably dealt with the shot.

Akins had a good chance to get his second as he got on the end of McLaughlin’s cross into the box. He had a free header but could not keep it down as it went over the crossbar.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 0-2 Mansfield Town


Gillingham: Morris, Mnoga (Law 46’), Ehmer, Baggott, McKenzie, O’Keefe, Williams, Adelakun (Green 61’), Reeves (MacDonald 72’), Walker (Gbode 61’), Mandron

Unused Substitutes: Turner, Alexander, Wright


Mansfield Town: Pym, Hewitt, Hawkins, Harbottle (Perch 73’), Gordon (Bowery 80’), Clarke, Hartigan, Lapslie, McLaughlin, Maris, Akins

Unused Substitutes: Flinders, Quinn, Wallace, Gale, O’Toole


Referee: Tom Reeves


Attendance: 4195 (404 away supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account