Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Grimsby Town 1-1 Gillingham

Mika Mandron gets on the scoresheet as Gills take a point from Grimsby.

13 September 2022

Match Reports

Report | Grimsby Town 1-1 Gillingham

Mika Mandron gets on the scoresheet as Gills take a point from Grimsby.

13 September 2022

Gills come from behind to seal a point at Blundell Park.

Mikael Mandron was on the scoresheet for Gills as they drew 1-1 with Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Tuesday evening.

Ryan Taylor opened the scoring for the hosts as he took advantage of Glenn Morris being unable to keep a hold of Brendan Kiernan’s shot from outside the box.

In the 14th minute, Ben Reeves’ corner was headed down to Scott Kashket, and the ball found its way to Mandron, who smashed the ball home from close range.

The Gills forward could have had a hat-trick on the night as he had a goal disallowed in both halves. The first came from a corner, where his header found the top corner, but it was ruled out for a foul inside the box. The second came during stoppage time as he got on the end of Stuart O’Keefe’s low cross. However, he was in an offside position as the linesman raised his flag to disallow the goal.

Neil Harris brought Robbie McKenzie into the starting XI as he made his first start since re-signing for the club on deadline day. Cheye Alexander returned to the matchday squad, while Olly Lee and Dom Jefferies were not fit for the bench.

Ryan Taylor gave Grimsby the lead in the seventh minute. A cross into the box eventually found its way to Brendan Kiernan, who shot goalward. Glenn Morris made the save but could not keep a hold of it, and Taylor was on hand to score the rebound.

In the 14th minute, Mandron equalised for Gillingham. Ben Reeves’ corner towards the back post was headed down into the path of Scott Kashket. It eventually made its way to Mandron, who smashed it home from close range.

Kashket forced Max Crocombe into a save in the 23rd minute. He did well to chase a long ball forward before cutting in on his left foot. He tried to bend his shot across the goal towards the far corner, but Crocombe did well to get both hands on it to palm it away.

Mandron thought he had scored his second of the evening, but the referee awarded the hosts a free-kick instead. Reeves’ corner found the head of a leaping Mandron, who found the top corner with his header. However, the referee spotted an infringement inside the penalty area as he ruled out the goal.

Grimsby almost went back in front as Kiernan’s effort struck the crossbar. It took a deflection off of a Gillingham defender, and it left Morris rooted to his spot as it cannoned off the woodwork Morris then did well to deny Luke Waterfall on the rebound. He got down quickly to palm Waterfall’s low-driven effort away from the goal.


HALF-TIME: Grimsby Town 1-1 Gillingham


Gills came close to taking the lead in the opening moments of the second half. Reeves played a free-kick out wide to Hakeeb Adelakun, who had space and time to drive his way into the box. He drilled the ball across the face of the six-yard box, which needed a touch off a Gillingham player to put it in the back of the net. However, it evaded two players that were sliding in as it went out for a goal kick.

Gillingham had Ryan Law to thank as he prevented Grimsby from going back in front. A low cross towards the six-yard box was flicked on by Harry Clifton. It beat Morris and looked like it may trickle into the back of the net, but Law was there to clear off the line before Elkan Baggott cleared away.

Grimsby had another good chance through Gavan Holohan shortly afterwards. Morris was unable to clear a back pass properly, and the hosts were able to win possession inside the Gillingham penalty area. The ball was played towards Holohan on the right of the box, who directed his effort across the goal. However, two Gillingham defenders were sliding in to get a touch which sent it wide of the target.

Just after the hour, Mandron forced Crocrombe into a save. Adelakun did well to win possession before playing it through to the forward. He did well to get beyond the defender before aiming his shot towards the bottom corner. However, Crocrombe managed to get down to it to push it away from danger.

Mandron thought he had scored the winner in stoppage time after he slotted the ball into an empty net. Stuart O’Keefe’s low-driven cross beat Crocombe and fell perfectly for Mandron to pass into an empty net. However, he was in an offside position as the linesman had his flag up.


FULL-TIME: Grimsby Town 1-1 Gillingham


Grimsby Town: Crocombe, Glennon, Smith, Waterfall, Efete, Holohan, Clifton, Richardson (Simmonds 80’), Taylor, Morris (Hunt 75’), Kiernan (Wearne 80’)

Unused Substitutes: Battersby, Maher, Green, Orsi


Gillingham: Morris, Adelakun, Ehmer, Baggott, McKenzie, Law, O’Keefe, Williams, Reeves (MacDonald 87’), Kashket (Green 46’), Mandron

Unused Substitutes: Turner, Alexander, Wright, Walker


Referee: Andy Haines


Attendance: 5960 (125 Gillingham supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account