Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-2 Newport County

Omar Bogle scores late to give Newport victory at ME7.

29 April 2023

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-2 Newport County

Omar Bogle scores late to give Newport victory at ME7.

29 April 2023

Gills beaten by Newport at Priestfield.

Omar Bogle’s powerful second-half strike proved to be the winner as Newport beat Gillingham 2-1 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Saturday.

Cameron Norman headed James Waite’s corner into the back of the net to give Newport a ninth-minute lead.

Gills were then awarded a penalty shortly after when Tom Nichols was clipped by a defender when going towards a corner delivered by Alex MacDonald. The striker took the spot kick himself and powered it beyond Nick Townsend who, despite getting a hand on it, couldn't keep it out.

Bogle scored the winner with 12 minutes remaining. A free-kick into the penalty area fell to Bogle, who was around seven yards out, and he smashed the ball beyond Glenn Morris, who had no chance of keeping it out.

Neil Harris named an unchanged starting XI following the 2-2 draw at Bradford. Oli Hawkins, who scored the last-minute equaliser, was named among the substitutes with Tristan Abrahams and Jayden Clarke for company.

The visitors almost took the lead in the eighth minute. Priestley Farquharson got on the end of a free-kick into the penalty area and headed it across the goal. It looked like it would end up in the back of the net, but Ethan Coleman was on hand to clear over the crossbar for a corner.

From the resulting cross, Cameron Norman headed Newport in front. James Waite floated a corner towards the back post, and Norman was on hand to head the ball home.

In the 17th minute, the Gills were awarded a penalty. Alex MacDonald fizzed a corner towards the oncoming Nichols, who was clipped as he got to the ball. He went down under the contact, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Nichols took the penalty and converted it. He opted for plenty of power as he drilled it into a central position. Nick Townsend got a solid hand to it, but it was not enough as he pushed it into the roof of the net.

Nichols almost scored his second in the 29th minute. A high and awkward ball was sent towards the penalty area, where Tim Dieng knocked it into the path of Nichols, and the forward made contact on the turn to send it goalward. Townsend had to stretch to ensure he kept it out as he claimed the ball on the second attempt.

Dom Jefferies had a big opportunity after a good passage of play from the Gills. Max Ehmer played the ball forward for Nichols to chase. The striker did well to keep a hold of possession before playing it wide to Dieng. His cross into the box found Jefferies, but a defender got in the way of the effort.

Glenn Morris was called into action in the 35th minute to deny Aaron Lewis. An opportunity to shoot from 20 yards opened for the midfielder, who struck it goalward. Morris got a solid hand onto it to palm it away from the goal. However, the rebound fell nicely for Charlie McNeill to shoot. Fortunately, Ehmer was on hand to block the effort as it went out for a corner, which came to nothing.

Nichols came close again from MacDonald’s corner. The forward was in acres of space as the ball fell to him. He headed it goalward, but Townsend did well to keep it out with his feet. However, the referee’s whistle had already blown due to a foul by a Gillingham player.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 1-1 Newport County


Newport had a fantastic chance to retake the lead on the hour. Omar Bogle was played through on goal and was one-on-one with Morris. Instead of shooting, Bogle tried to square the ball for McNeill, who would have had an open goal. Fortunately, Conor Masterson recovered in time to put the ball behind for a corner.

Jefferies tried his luck from 25 yards a few minutes later. Nichols did brilliantly regaining possession with a sliding challenge, with the ball falling to Jefferies. He decided to try his luck from distance, but his low-driven effort was too central, as Townsend got down to make the save.

Moments later, Jefferies was replaced by Hawkins as the Gills changed into a 4-4-2 formation.

In the 78th minute, Bogle blasted Newport in front. A free-kick into the penalty area fell to Bogle, who thumped the ball past Morris, who had no chance of keeping it out.

In the 83rd minute, Gillingham made a second change as Jayden Clarke replaced Coleman.

Despite their best efforts Gills couldn't find a way past Townsend for a second time and Newport held out for victory.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 1-2 Newport County


Gillingham: Morris, Alexander, Ehmer, Masterson, McKenzie, Dieng, Coleman (Clarke 83’), Jefferies (Hawkins 65’), Lapslie, MacDonald, Nichols

Unused Substitutes: Turner, Tutonda, Wright, Chambers, Abrahams


Newport County: Townsend, Baker, Farquharson (Charsley 57’), Demetriou, Norman, Moriah-Welsh, Lewis, Waite, Evans, Bogle, McNeill (Kavanagh 71’)

Unused Substitutes: Day, Bowen, Wildig, Rai, Paige


Referee: Craig Hicks

Attendance: 7872 (419 away supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account