Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report | Crawley Town 0-1 Gillingham

Gills dig deep and resist Crawley pressure to earn victory at the Broadfield Stadium.

19 August 2023


Report | Crawley Town 0-1 Gillingham

Gills dig deep and resist Crawley pressure to earn victory at the Broadfield Stadium.

19 August 2023

Neil Harris' side claim maximum points against Crawley in West Sussex.

Gillingham made it four wins from four after Harry Ransom’s own goal secured a 1-0 win over Crawley Town at Broadfield Stadium.

The goal came four minutes before half-time when Shad Ogie’s low-driven cross towards the six-yard box was put into the back of the net by the centre-half.

It could have been so different when Crawley were awarded a penalty in the 14th minute. A pass into the penalty area hit the hand of Cheye Alexander, who was very close to the ball. Dom Telford stepped up and saw his spot kick saved by Jake Turner.

The Gills goalkeeper got down to his right to keep out Telford’s attempt before quickly recovering to save Danilo Orsi’s rebound.

Club captain Shaun Williams returned to the starting XI for the visit to Broadfield Stadium, as did Jonny Williams, while George Lapslie and Tim Dieng dropped to the bench.

Ronan Darcy forced Turner into an early save when the ball deflected in his direction. He struck a powerful half-volley goalward, but it was too central, allowing Turner to make the save look comfortable.

The hosts came close again in the fifth minute from Will Wright’s corner. The former Gillingham defender curled the ball towards the back post, and Danilo Orsi came sliding in to make the contact. Fortunately, he put it wide of the post, leaving Turner untroubled.

The hosts were awarded a 14th minute penalty when the ball hit Cheye Alexander’s hand, who was just a couple of yards away from the pass that had been made.

Turner continued his fine start to the season when he denied Dom Telford from the penalty spot. The Crawley captain went towards the bottom left with his spot kick, and Turner guessed the right way. He got down to pull off the save before quickly recovering to get up and deny Orsi from the rebound.

Moments later, Turner was called into action again to deny Wright. The ball was played towards the back post with Wright unmarked. He got down to head the ball towards the near post, but Turner was alert as he got two hands on the ball to palm it away.

Dom Jefferies had a good half chance when Corey Addai was caught off his line. Jefferies got to the ball ahead of the goalkeeper down the left wing near the penalty area. He cut onto his right foot before bending the ball towards the far corner, but it went just wide of the post.

Gillingham took the lead in the 41st minute through what appeared to be an own goal. Shad Ogie’s throw from the left was recycled back out wide to the defender by Shaun Williams. Ogie then took on his man before drilling a low-driven ball into the six-yard box. Tom Nichols looked to attack it, but it seemingly came off Harry Ransom, leaving Addai rooted to his spot.


HALF-TIME: Crawley Town 0-1 Gillingham


The hosts had a good opportunity after winning possession midway inside the Gillingham half. A pass was played towards Telford on the edge of the penalty area, and he dummied over the ball, allowing it to trickle through to Orsi. He got a shot away, but it was comfortable for Turner, who got down to claim it.

Orsi came inches away from equalising moments later. He did well getting the ball out of his feet before dragging his effort towards the bottom corner. It left Turner rooted to his spot but went just wide of the post.

Jayden Clarke replaced Jonny Williams in the 57th minute when the midfielder came off with a knock.

Scott Malone forced Addai into a save after a nice passage of play from the visitors. Alexander was played down the right and delivered a cross towards the edge of the penalty area. Nichols headed it into the path of Malone, who readied himself before shooting. His powerful effort was too central, forcing Addai to palm over the bar.

The Gills came close to doubling their lead twice from the resulting corner. Ogie almost made it two when he flicked Shaun Williams’ corner towards the far post. However, there was a Crawley defender on the line who headed away. The visitors regained the ball inside the box as it fell to Ashley Nadesan from six yards out. His snapshot crashed off the underside of the crossbar before bouncing into the six-yard box. The attack was ended when Max Ehmer was ruled to have been offside.

Gills made three changes in the 74th minute when Robbie McKenzie, Macauley Bonne and Lapslie replaced Nichols, Nadesan and Jefferies. That saw the Gills go to a 5-4-1 formation with Bonne leading the line and McKenzie slotting into centre-back in the back three.

Ransom was denied by the brave defending of Ogie. Crawley continued to play good football and found Ransom in space just inside the penalty area. He fired a shot goalward, but Ogie was on hand to get his head in the way of the effort to send it over the bar for a corner, which came to nothing.

Klaidi Lolos, who replaced Telford, forced Turner into a magnificent save with a little over ten minutes remaining. Lolos directed his shot towards the top right corner, but Turner did brilliantly to get across and push it behind the post for a corner.

In the 81st minute, Dieng replaced Shaun Williams as the Gills used up their remaining substitution.

Clarke had a half-chance in the final minute of regulation after Dieng did well to win the ball inside the Crawley half. He went forward before finding Bonne, who was quick to shift the ball out wide to Clarke. The attacker took it wide to create space before getting a shot away. However, it was blocked before looping into the arms of Addai.


FULL-TIME: Crawley Town 0-1 Gillingham

Crawley Town: Addai, Tsaroulla, Conroy, Ransom, Wright, Campbell (Henry 64’), Kelly, Williams (Forster 86’), Darcy, Telford (Lolos 67’), Orsi

Unused Substitutes: Ashby-Hammond, Mukena, Swyer, Khaleel


Gillingham: Turner, Alexander, Ehmer, Ogie, Malone, S. Williams (Dieng 81’), J. Williams (Clarke 57’), Jefferies (McKenzie 73’), Coleman, Nadesan (Lapslie 74’), Nichols (Bonne 73’)

Unused Substitutes: Morris, Masterson


Referee: Ed Duckworth

Attendance: 4310 (1356 Gillingham supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account