Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 2-0 Charlton Athletic

Gills produce one of their best performances of the season so far to defeat League 1 Charlton and progress in the FA Cup.

2 December 2023

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 2-0 Charlton Athletic

Gills produce one of their best performances of the season so far to defeat League 1 Charlton and progress in the FA Cup.

2 December 2023

Gills are through to the third round of the FA Cup following an impressive win over League 1 Charlton.

Macauley Bonne and Tim Dieng scored first-half goals as Gillingham progressed to the Third Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-0 win against Charlton Athletic.

Bonne gave Gills the lead in the 26th minute. Jayden Clarke made an excellent run in behind the visitors defence, forcing Ashley Maynard-Brewer off his line. Clarke spotted the run of Bonne on the edge of the penalty area, and the former Charlton man saw his shot deflected onto the inside of the post before it hit the back of the net.

Dieng doubled the Gillingham advantage four minutes later when George Lapslie played him through on goal. Dieng kept his cool before slotting the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

The Gills controlled the rest of the tie as they secured their place in the Third Round courtesy of an excellent performance.

Stephen Clemence made five changes from the starting XI that beat AFC Wimbledon in midweek. Robbie McKenzie, George Lapslie, Jonny Williams, Jayden Clarke and Macauley Bonne returned to the line-up.

Oli Hawkins was named in the matchday squad for the first time this season following a long-term heel issue.

Jake Turner did well to deny Alfie May in the tenth minute. The visitors took a short corner, which was then played to May, who found himself unmarked from around 12 yards. The forward struck a low-driven shot through a host of players, but Turner reacted quickly to save with his feet before Gills cleared their lines.

In the 26th minute, Bonne gave Gillingham the lead. Clarke did brilliantly to angle his run, which allowed him to get in behind the Charlton defence. Ashley Maynard-Brewer came well off his line, so the angle was tight for Clarke. He spotted the run of Bonne on the edge of the penalty area, who shot goalward. His attempt took a slight deflection before hitting the inside of the post and bouncing over the line.

Tim Dieng doubled Gillingham’s advantage four minutes later. Lapslie played the ball through for the midfielder, who found himself one-on-one. Dieng remained composed from the edge of the penalty area and drilled an effort towards the far bottom corner, beating Maynard-Brewer.

In the 34th minute, Gills were forced into a change as Ethan Coleman picked up a knock, which meant he could not continue. He was replaced by Dom Jefferies.

Dieng came close to adding a third when Jonny Williams was fouled 25 yards from the goal. The ball was positioned just left of centre in a favourable position for a right-footed effort. The midfielder curled his shot towards the near post, with it going just wide of the target. 

At the end of the first-half, the hosts were forced into a second change when Jonny Williams was clattered into by May. The midfielder suffered a head injury, which meant he could not continue and was replaced by Shaun Williams.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 2-0 Charlton Athletic


In the 50th minute, Dieng came close again. Scott Malone curled a corner towards the six-yard box, and the midfielder rose the highest. However, his attempt went just over the bar.

Clarke almost made it three, just short of the hour. Jefferies made a bursting run forward as he got beyond a couple of Charlton players before sliding the ball off to Bonne. He spotted Clarke in acres of space as he played a smart Crossfield pass towards the winger. Clarke got beyond his defender before firing a shot towards the near post, but Maynard-Brewer stood firm as he pushed it wide of the post.

With a little over ten minutes remaining, Bonne had a golden opportunity to make it three. Lucas Ness misjudged his header back to the goalkeeper, and Bonne latched onto the loose ball. He found himself one-on-one with Maynard-Brewer, who came off his line to close down the angle and denied the Gills forward, making a strong save.

In the 84th minute, Lapslie had a good chance. Bonne did brilliantly to hold the ball up before Gills broke towards the Charlton penalty area. The ball was played to Clarke, who laid it off for Lapslie to shoot, but his effort went just over the crossbar.

That would be the trio’s final involvement in the game as they were replaced shortly afterwards by Cheye Alexander, Ashley Nadesan and Tom Nichols.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 2-0 Charlton Athletic


Gillingham: Turner, McKenzie, Ehmer, Masterson, Malone, Dieng, Coleman (Jefferies 34’), Lapslie (Nadesan 85’), J. Williams (S. Williams 45+6’), Clarke (Nichols 84’), Bonne (Alexander 85’)

Unused Substitutes: Morris, Clark, Ogie, Hawkins


Charlton Athletic: Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Ness, Jones, Edun (T. Watson 62’), Blackett-Taylor, Dobson, L. Watson (Fraser 62’), May, Tedic (Mbick 79’), Campbell (Kanu 79’)

Unused Substitutes: Walker, Thomas, Hector, Anderson, Kedwell


Referee: Sunny Singh Gills

Attendance: 7717 (1608 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account