Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham U17s 2-0 Leyton Orient U17s

Jimmy Heasman on target for Gills as U17's win group stage tie.

9 November 2023

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham U17s 2-0 Leyton Orient U17s

Jimmy Heasman on target for Gills as U17's win group stage tie.

9 November 2023

Gills defeat Leyton Orient 2-0 in the Floodlit Cup at Star Meadow.

Gills gave themselves half a chance of qualifying for the next stage of the Floodlit Cup following a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient at Star Meadow.

A cagey opening 10 minutes saw both sides look to feel their way into the game, with most of the action taking place in the midfield as the young teams tussled to take an early hold.

Excellent early pressing work from Gillingham saw the hosts take control and begin to threaten the Orient keeper’s goal.

Sargent found himself in space on 13 minutes, receiving the ball in the box with his back to goal, a skilful turn gave him the opportunity to shoot but his effort just lifted over the crossbar in what was the first real chance of the match.

That proved to be a sign of things to come with the Gills taking confidence from the early domination of possession. Logan Dobbs had a chance to open the scoring minutes later, taking the chance to strike at close range, the Orient keeper did well to spring off his line and smother the shot.

The Gillingham pressure proved fruitful on 26 minutes.

A dangerous cross into the area from Harry Waldock rattled the Orient backline, one of the visiting centre-backs unintentionally turning the ball into his own net with a deflected touch. 

The theme of the game continued with the hosts continuing to control the game and keep the Leyton Orient attempts at goal to a minimum.

Gillingham double their lead in first-half stoppage time.

A pinpoint low pass from Louie Dayal split the Orient defence, perfectly weighted for Heasman to run on to and go one-on-one with the opposing keeper. The defender scrambled to get back and make a goal preventing tackle, but his challenge wasn’t enough to stop Heasman lifting over the keeper and into the net.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 2-0 Leyton Orient


It was “as you were” when the teams emerged from the break. The Gills continued to dominate the ball and limit attempts at Carter Sullivan's goal.

Sargent continued to trouble Leyton Orient, just as he had in the opening half.

The forward worked to gain a yard in the opposition area on 56 minutes, getting a strong head on an incoming corner-kick, his effort falling straight into the hands of the Orient keeper.

It was Sargent causing the visitors problems again 10 minutes later.

Gillingham pressed well and won back possession in the centre circle, before Sargent spotted the keeper off his line and unleashing an effort from long distance. The Orient keeper scrambled to make it back to his line but was relieved to see the effort go behind off his post.

The remainder of the half played out much the same, the Gills defence doing well to keep the Orient attackers at bay, limiting the visitors to scraps and rarely being troubled in their own half.

Harry Waldock had a chance to make it three for the Gills in the dying seconds of added time, positioning himself well to receive the ball inside the box, before unleashing a close-range effort which just missed the target by a matter of inches.

The win gives Gillingham a chance of qualification, however this would take a huge swing of goal difference in the other final group stage fixture.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 2-0 Leyton Orient


Gillingham: Sullivan (Corfield 66’), Humphrey (Awosoga 88’), Trialist (Morrison 75’), Khumba, Dobbs, Webster, Clark (Bachorski 45’), Waldock (C), Heasman, Dayal, Sargent (Diaper 84’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account