Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 3-0 Barrow

Josh Andrews scores on his first start for the club as Gills defeat Barrow at ME7.

13 April 2024

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 3-0 Barrow

Josh Andrews scores on his first start for the club as Gills defeat Barrow at ME7.

13 April 2024

Gills put in impressive display to see off Barrow at Priestfield.

Josh Andrews scored his first goal for the Gills in a convincing 3-0 win over Barrow on Saturday.

The visitors were reduced to ten men during the first half when George Ray caught sub Josh Walker with a dangerously high challenge.

Andrews gave Gillingham the lead during first-half stoppage time when he beat the offside trap to latch onto Remeao Hutton's ball forward before rounding Paul Farman and slotting into an empty net.

The Gillingham advantage doubled ten minutes into the second half when Rory Feely bundled Conor Masterson's low cross into the six-yard box into the back of the net.

Connor Mahoney scored the pick of the goals when Tim Dieng played a perfectly weighted pass over the top of the Barrow defence. Mahoney did excellently to bring it under his control before showing the composure to take it around Farman and slotted into the back of an empty net.

Stephen Clemence made three changes to the starting XI that faced Bradford City, with Max Clark and Jonny Williams returning to the line-up. Josh Andrews made his first Gillingham start, while Dom Jefferies was named in the matchday squad for the first time since the loss at MK Dons.

Andrews had a half-chance in the opening seconds. Connor Mahoney did well to weave his way into the penalty area before floating in a cross from the right. Andrews did well to guide a header goalward but it proved a comfortable catch for the keeper.

The visitors were a touch away from potentially taking the lead shortly after. Dean Campbell’s corner was flicked towards the back post by Emile Acquah. James Chester was there to keep the ball alive, sending the ball back towards the six-yard box. There were a couple of Barrow players hoping to make the definitive touch before a Gillingham player cleared the ball over the crossbar for another corner, which was cleared.

Campbell forced Jake Turner into a routine save in the tenth minute. The visitors intercepted a wayward pass before the ball was played central for Campbell. He shot from 20 yards, but it was straight at Turner, who got down to make the save.

A couple of minutes later, Jonny Williams came close. The ball was played into Andrews, who did well to hold it up before laying it up for Williams, who weaved beyond a couple of defenders before shooting towards the near post. Farman came rushing off his line to close the angle, sending it just wide of the post for a corner, which the visitors dealt with.

In the 21st minute, George Lapslie went down with an apparent knock and could not continue, being replaced by Josh Walker.

Seconds later, George Ray was sent off following a high challenge on the sub. The defender clattered into the striker, leaving the referee no choice but to brandish a quick red card. Walker could not continue and was stretchered off the field of play, replaced by Oli Hawkins.

In the third minute of first-half stoppage time, Andrews scored his first Gillingham goal. Remeao Hutton played a ball forward in behind the Barrow defence, which Andrews got on the end of, beating the offside trap. He latched onto the ball ahead of the oncoming Farman, taking it around the goalkeeper before slotting the ball into an empty net.

There was a nervy moment when Elliot Newby curled a cross towards the back post from the left. It evaded everybody, forcing Turner to scramble across his goal to make sure he had his back post covered. Fortunately, it bounced just wide of the post.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 1-0 Barrow


Clark had the first chance of the second half when Gills did well to regain possession just outside the Barrow penalty area. Clark made his way into the box before shooting from a tight angle. Farman had to be alert, pushing the ball wide of his near post for a corner, which came to nothing.

In the 55th minute, a Rory Feely own goal doubled Gillingham’s advantage. Conor Masterson had the ball down the right side of the penalty area before drilling a low cross towards the six-yard box. Feely got the final touch on the ball, sending it into the back of his own net.

Mahoney made it three after another great pass forward. Tim Dieng lofted a perfect pass over the top of the Barrow defence, which Mahoney did brilliantly to bring under his control. The winger showed great composure to round Farman before slotting into an empty net.

Gills made a double change in the 70th minute as Scott Malone replaced Clark. The other substitution saw Jefferies return to action, coming on for Andrews.

With a little over ten minutes remaining, Hawkins came close to making it four. Hutton delivered a cross from the right towards the back post. Hawkins rose the highest, heading the ball down towards the goal. It looked destined to nestle into the bottom corner before a Barrow defender stuck out a leg to send the ball over the goal.

Turner was called into action in the 87th minute. The visitors had a free-kick 25 yards from goal, which Kian Spence took. He managed to get the ball up and over the wall but lacked the power to test the Gills goalkeeper, who got down to make the save.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 3-0 Barrow


Gillingham: Turner, Hutton, Ehmer, Masterson, Clark (Malone 70’), Coleman, Dieng (McKenzie 78’), Mahoney, Lapslie (Walker 21’ (Hawkins 31’)), J. Williams, Andrews (Jefferies 70’)

Unused Substitutes: Morris, Ogie


Barrow: Farman, Feely, Ray, Canavan, Chester, Foley, Campbell (Stephenson 72’), Gotts (Spence 58’), Newby, Acquah (Proctor 58’), Whitfield

Unused Substitutes: Lillis, Telford, Stockton


Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 5796 (174 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account