Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Newport County 1-0 Gillingham

Gills beaten at Rodney Parade.

17 February 2024

Match Reports

Report | Newport County 1-0 Gillingham

Gills beaten at Rodney Parade.

17 February 2024

Gills leave Rodney Parade empty handed following even affair at Newport.

Will Evans’ volley was the only goal of the game as Newport County beat Gillingham 1-0 at Rodney Parade.  

Stephen Clemence made two changes to the side that drew to Swindon Town in midweek. Connor Mahoney and George Lapslie came into the starting XI in the place of Jonny Williams and Josh Walker, who were named among the substitutes.

Shad Ogie was fit enough to start after coming off against Swindon, while Jorge Hurtado was not involved due to injury.

Tim Dieng had a half-chance in the 12th minute when Remeao Hutton got to the byline before dinking a cross towards the back post. Dieng got his head on it, but it lacked the power to test Nick Townsend, who comfortably gathered the effort.

Seb Palmer-Houlden had a golden opportunity to give Newport the lead. Adam Lewis curled a cross from the left towards the six-yard box, which Jake Turner came off his line to try and make contact with. However, Palmer-Houlden beat him to the ball, flying in to head goalward. Fortunately, it just went wide of the target, giving Gills a huge let-off.

Oli Hawkins had a shot on goal after a fine run forward from Mahoney, who did well to take multiple Newport players out of the game. He played it in the direction of Lapslie, who was seemingly tripped up before it came to Hawkins. The striker’s effort was tame, allowing Townsend to comfortably get down to make the save. There was some disgruntlement from a couple of the Gillingham players and bench who felt the game should have been pulled back for the foul.


HALF-TIME: Newport County 0-0 Gillingham


Gills made one change at the break as Ashley Nadesan replaced Laplsie, adding another forward to the front line alongside Hawkins.

Turner did well to deny Bryn Morris in the 53rd minute. The midfielder brought the ball inside onto his stronger right foot before firing a powerful effort goalward from around 25 yards out. The ball moved in the air, but Turner got two solid palms on the ball to push it away from the danger before Gillingham cleared their lines.

In the 61st minute, Will Evans volleyed Newport in front. Harry Charsley crossed into the box from the left, and Evans had time to guide a left-footed volley into the far corner, which went in off the inside of the post.

Palmer-Houlden had a good chance to score a second for the hosts when the ball came to him inside the penalty area. However, his shot was blocked by Max Ehmer before the ball looped harmlessly into the arms of Turner.

Mahoney’s corner from the right found Hawkins in the 67th minute. However, the striker was going to the floor and stretching to make contact, heading it high and wide of the target.

Jonny Williams replaced Ogie in the 72nd minute as Gillingham went to a back four.

Dieng forced Townsend into a save in the 77th minute. Mahoney’s low cross from the right found Dieng, who sent a first-time low-driven effort goalward. Townsend pushed it away from his goal before Dieng was the first man to get on the end of the rebound. However, the ball was at an awkward angle and he sent his shot over the crossbar.

Gills made a triple change soon after, as Scott Malone, Jayden Clarke and Josh Walker replaced Max Clark, Dieng and Hawkins.

Gills found themselves camped outside the Newport penalty area for the duration of the final ten minutes and stoppage time but could not find a breakthrough as the hosts hung on for all three points.


FULL-TIME: Newport County 1-0 Gillingham


Newport County: Townsend, Clarke, Bennett, Baker, McLoughlin, Wildig (Jameson 82’), Lewis, Charsley (Bondswell 90+2’), Morris, Palmer-Houlden (Zanzala 88’), Evans

Unused Substitutes: Maxted, Payne, Waite, Jephcott


Gillingham: Turner, Hutton, Masterson, Ehmer, Ogie (J. Williams 72’), Clark (Malone 80’), Coleman, Lapslie (Nadesan 46’), Dieng (Clarke 80’), Mahoney, Hawkins (Walker 80’)

Unused Substitutes: Morris, McKenzie


Referee: Ollie Yates

Attendance: 4724 (580 Gillingham supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account