Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Barrow 2-0 Gillingham

Gills beaten at the SO Legal Stadium.

5 March 2024

Match Reports

Report | Barrow 2-0 Gillingham

Gills beaten at the SO Legal Stadium.

5 March 2024

Gills leave the SO Legal Stadium empty handed as Barrow take victory.

Emile Acquah scored an impressive goal as Barrow beat Gillingham 2-0 at the SO Legal Stadium.

Stephen Clemence named an unchanged starting XI for a third successive game.

In the fifth minute, Jonny Williams was on the end of an aggressive sliding tackle by Cole Stockton. There were some calls for a red card, but Scott Tallis was quick to brandish a yellow.

The first half-chance of the game came in the 25th minute. Emile Acquah made a run down the left before sending a cross towards the six-yard box. Cole Stockton got on the end of the ball, flicking it goalward. Fortunately, he failed to make clear contact, meaning it glanced off his head across the six-yard box before Gills dealt with the ball.

Moments later, Acquah forced Morris into a save. The striker received the ball inside the penalty area before shooting with a left-footed effort towards Glenn Morris’ near post. However, it proved a routine save for the Gills goalkeeper, who comfortably got down to gather it.

Acquah continued to be at the heart of the action when the hosts won possession high up the field. The striker received the ball with his back to goal before making his way towards the penalty area. The Barrow striker had two options to pass towards but opted to shoot, drilling his shot well wide of the target.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure when Kian Spence found himself in an excellent position. Elliot Newby curled a right-footed cross from the left towards the back post, which Spence got on the end of. The Barrow midfielder side-footed an effort which appeared to be aimed towards the far corner. Fortunately, he blazed it across the face of the goal, leaving Morris untroubled.

James Chester gave Barrow the lead in the 40th minute. A ball was sent into the Gillingham penalty area, which George Ray won, flicking it on into the path of Chester. The defender was in the right place at the right time, remaining composed as he prodded it beyond Morris.


HALF-TIME: Barrow 1-0 Gillingham


Barrow began the second period on the front foot when Spence forced Morris into a save in the 48th minute. Acquah flicked it on into the path of Spence, who brought it forward before shooting from 20 yards out. However, his low-driven effort was saved by Morris, who got down to his right to gather the ball.

Acquah doubled Barrow’s lead with a fantastic goal in the 55th minute. The striker received the ball on the left of the penalty area before evading a couple of challenges. Acquah then curled a right-footed shot towards the far corner, which left the outstretched Morris with no chance as it nestled into the top corner.

On the hour, Gillingham made three substitutions. Connor Mahoney, Shaun Williams and Scott Malone replaced Ashley Nadesan, Ethan Coleman and Max Clark respectively.

There were more Gillingham changes in the 73rd minute when Jayden Clarke and Josh Walker replaced Jonny Williams and Oli Hawkins.

Remeao Hutton forced Paul Farman into a save in the 86th minute. The hosts managed to deal with the initial Gillingham cross before it came back out to the right wing-back. Hutton curled a left-footed effort goalward, but it was straight at Farman. It stung the palms of the Barrow goalkeeper, who gathered it at the second attempt.

Gills applied late pressure as they went in search of pulling a goal back. However, they failed to truly test Farman in the Barrow goal.


FULL-TIME: Barrow 2-0 Gillingham


Barrow: Farman, Warren (Stephenson 72’), Chester, Ray, Canavan, Newby, Spence (Whitfield 82’), Campbell, Gotts (Ogungbo 82’), Stockton (Foley 72’), Acquah (Telford 82’)

Unused Substitutes: Lillis

Gillingham: Morris, Hutton, Masterson, Ehmer, Ogie, Clark (Malone 60’), Coleman (S. Williams 60’), Dieng, J. Williams (Clarke 73’), Hawkins (Walker 73’), Nadesan (Mahoney 60’)

Unused Substitutes: Turner, McKenzie


Referee: Scott Tallis

Attendance: 3044 (168 Gillingham supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account