Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Salford City 0-2 Gillingham

Gills produce an excellent performance in torrential conditions to beat Salford and return to the Sky Bet League 2 Play-Off places.

2 March 2024

Match Reports

Report | Salford City 0-2 Gillingham

Gills produce an excellent performance in torrential conditions to beat Salford and return to the Sky Bet League 2 Play-Off places.

2 March 2024

Shad Ogie and Tim Dieng bag the goals as Gills record excellent win over Salford in terrible weather conditions.

A violent hailstorm could not prevent Gillingham from picking up all three points in a 2-0 win against Salford City on Saturday.

Shad Ogie scored his first Gillingham goal in the 44th minute, as he got on the end of Ethan Coleman’s header towards the six-yard box.

Tim Dieng doubled the advantage just six minutes into the second half. Ashley Nadesan won possession deep inside the Salford half before he made his way to the six-yard box. Nadesan cut it back for Dieng, who curled a first-time effort into the far corner of the net.

Salford threw everything they had throughout the second half, but Gillingham stood strong against the weather and the threats their hosts posed on their goal.                                                                                 

Stephen Clemence named an unchanged starting XI following the 1-0 win against Wrexham. Glenn Morris retained his place in goal, with Jake Turner returning to the matchday squad.

Conor McAleny had the first opportunity of the game when he made his way towards the penalty area before shifting the ball onto his left foot from around 20 yards. Fortunately, he cleared the crossbar with his attempt, leaving Morris untroubled.

In the 13th minute, Gills had a well-worked corner routine that almost paid off. Remeao Hutton played a quick one-two with Ashley Nadesan before curling a cross towards the far post. It was in the direction of Oli Hawkins, who made contact. However, he was wrestling with a Salford defender, making it more than difficult for him to hook it on target.

Max Ehmer made a crucial block to deny McAleny soon afterwards. The Salford forward had the ball just inside the penalty area, with a clear path to strike goalward. However, Ehmer came diving in at the final moment to deliver the block, with the Gills dealing with the second ball.

There was a contentious moment in the 35th minute when Jonny Williams was on the end of a rash Curtis Tilt sliding challenge. A yellow card was the decision.

Shortly before half-time, Shad Ogie scored his first Gillingham goal. Hutton’s corner from the left was headed as far as Ethan Coleman, who headed the ball back towards the six-yard box. The Salford defence tried to step up in an attempt to catch the Gillingham players attacking the ball into being offside. However, Ogie timed his run perfectly to stay onside before heading the ball into the bottom corner beyond Alex Cairns. 


HALF-TIME: Salford City 0-1 Gillingham


Hawkins nearly started and finished an excellent Gillingham attack. The striker did brilliantly to get clear of a couple of Salford players before sending the ball out to the right. The ball was then played out to Jonny Williams, who had Hutton making a bursting run on the inside. The midfielder found Hutton, who picked out Hawkins inside the penalty area. Unfortunately, the striker could not make clear contact with his effort as it bounced harmlessly into the gloves of Cairns.

In the 51st minute, Tim Dieng doubled the Gillingham advantage. The visitors were pressing the Salford defence high up the pitch, then forced a mistake, which Nadesan took advantage of. The striker latched onto the loose ball before running into the penalty area, making his way towards the six-yard box before he cut it back for the oncoming Dieng. The midfielder showed great composure to curl a first-time effort into the far corner of the net, sending the away supporters into raptures.

Elliot Watt forced Morris into a save just after the hour. Declan John took the ball into the box from the left before cutting it back to Ryan Watson. He then spotted Watt with acres of space as he passed it to the Salford captain, who was on the edge of the penalty area. Watt had the time and space to set himself before curling a shot towards the far corner. However, he was denied by a strong save from Morris, who did well to push it around the post.

In the 68th minute, Gillingham made their first change as Connor Mahoney replaced Nadesan, who had run himself into the ground.

Shaun Williams replaced Jonny Williams after 79 minutes as the Gills looked to close out the game.

Matt Smith thought he had pulled a goal back for the hosts with a little under ten minutes remaining. John’s cross from the right found the head of Smith inside the six-yard box. Fortunately, he could not make clear contact with his header as it skimmed off his head and past the far post.

Dieng almost scored his second, and Gillingham’s third, after Max Clark intercepted a pass down the left wing. Clark played it for Dieng, who had the time and space to drive towards the Salford penalty area. He opted to shoot from a tight angle but was denied by Cairns in the Salford goal.

That was Dieng’s final act of the game, as he was soon replaced. Clemence made a double substitution, as Scott Malone and Robbie McKenzie replaced Clark and Dieng.

Morris was called into action twice in quick succession to keep the Gillingham clean sheet intact. A Salford corner was cleared back out to John, who curled the ball to the back post with two attackers lining up to head into the net.

The second came soon afterwards when a corner from the right was played towards the near post. Callum Morton managed to knock it goalward, but Glenn Morris was brave to quickly come off his line and block the shot with his chest.


FULL-TIME: Salford City 0-2 Gillingham


Salford City: Cairns, Ingram (Morton 46’), Vassell, Tilt, John, Watson (Hendry 72’), Watt, Chesters, Humbles (McLennan 46’), McAleny (Lund 72’), Smith

Unused Substitutes: Torrance, Mariappa, Malcolm


Gillingham: Morris, Hutton, Masterson, Ehmer, Ogie, Clark (Malone 85’), Coleman, Dieng (McKenzie 85’), J. Williams (S. Williams 79’), Nadesan (Mahoney 68’), Hawkins

Unused Substitutes: Turner, Clarke, Walker


Referee: Ross Joyce

Attendance: 2995 (562 Gillingham supporters)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account