Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Gillingham

Gills clinch a point against Shrewsbury.

20 February 2018

Match Reports

Report: Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Gillingham

Gills clinch a point against Shrewsbury.

20 February 2018

Late goal ensures a share of the spoils in Shropshire.

Mark Byrne’s second-half stunner helped Gills come from behind to clinch a point against promotion chasing Shrewsbury Town at Montgomery Waters Meadow on Tuesday evening in a 1-1 draw.

The hosts bossed the majority of the first-half and went in at the break a goal to the good thanks to Abu Ogogo, but Byrne’s excellent effort from a difficult angle within the last ten minutes ensured Gills took a point back to Kent.

The midfielder cleared off the line minutes later to prevent Ogogo a second goal and a potential match winner.

Manager Steve Lovell hinted he may make changes following Saturday’s home draw against Walsall, however he chose to keep faith with the same XI with the only alteration in the squad being the return of Lee Martin in place for Liam Nash.

As for Shrewsbury they had former Gills striker Stefan Payne available from the bench.

The hosts came out of the traps with a strong tempo and won a couple of early set pieces which were well defended by the visiting defence. However it was Shrewsbury who looked the more threatening and were quick to close down Gills at every opportunity.

Their persistence paid off on 13 minutes when they took the lead. Shaun Whalley had the ball on the right hand side of the box, managed to pull it back from the byline and Ogogo burst into the box and connected from six yards to beat Tomas Holy.

Gills enjoyed moments of good possession but the hosts remained in control and Lovell’s side had to be resilient in defence to prevent a second goal before the half hour.

However they began to ask more questions and the remaining 15 minutes were far more even, although only one half chance was created when a ball into Tom Eaves was placed over the bar.

H/T: 1-0

Gillingham started much quicker in the second half, forcing an early corner which was headed clear before a Connor Ogilvie effort from 25 yards was gathered by Dean Henderson.

A Luke O’Neill free-kick nearly forced an equaliser but Gabriel Zakuani’s header cleared the bar by a couple of yards before a Callum Reilly effort inside the box was stopped by Henderson.

A spell of pressure from Shrewsbury, including three corner-kicks, was eventually dealt with before skipper Lee Martin was introduced to the action at the expense of Reilly.

Eaves shot narrowly wide of the right hand post with 20 minutes to play, and this proved to be his final impact of the game with Conor Wilkinson coming on to replace him not long afterwards.

As the minutes passed the home supporters became more agitated as Gills bossed possession, and on 82 minutes the visitors drew level when Ehmer did well to find Byrne inside the box and the midfielder, from a tight angle, managed to beat Henderson to send the traveling fans wild.

And it was Byrne who prevented a potential winner in the last minute; Whalley’s corner was headed away by Ehmer which landed at the feet of Ogogo whose shot was flying beyond Holy, but with Byrne still on the post he was able to clear.

A late onslaught from Shrewsbury came to nothing with both sides having to share the points.

F/T: 1-1

Shrewsbury: Henderson, Lowe, Godfrey, Beckles, Whalley (Rodman 90), Ogogo, Morris, Thomas (Payne 63), Bolton, Hendrie, Nsiala.

Unused subs: MacGillivray, Riley, Sadler, John-Lewis, Jones.

Gills: Holy, O’Neill, Ehmer, Zakuani, Nugent, Ogilvie, Byrne, Hessenthaler, Reilly (Martin 69), Parker, Eaves (Wilkinson 75).

Unused subs: Hadler, Garmston, Moussa, List, Wagstaff.

Referee: Mr C Hicks

Attendance: 4839 (162 Gills)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account