Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dartford 0-3 Gillingham

List and Parker on target as Gills clinch victory.

17 July 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dartford 0-3 Gillingham

List and Parker on target as Gills clinch victory.

17 July 2018

Gills hit three without reply at Princes Park.

Two second half goals from sub Elliott List, and one from Josh Parker, ensured Gills left Princes Park with a 3-0 victory over Dartford on Tuesday evening.

List scored twice in the space of a few minutes after coming on at the break, with Parker producing an impressive finish from the edge of the box on 72 minutes to put the game beyond reach for the Darts.

Steve Lovell named two different teams for either half as the squad continue to prepare for the opening game of the new season against Accrington Stanley.

Tom Hadler started the first half between the sticks with Barry Fuller, Aaron Simpson, Max Ehmer and Gabriel Zakuani making up his back four.

Brandon Hanlan and Liam Nash started in attack, and it was Hanlan who was involved heavily in the early stages with a couple of long passes down the right nearly creating an opening.

However it was Dartford who had the first opportunity of the game from a set play. Ehmer was judged to have pushed Wall as the forward looked to get the ball to feet; Greenhalgh stepped up and his left footed curling effort cleared the bar by a yard.

The hosts went even closer a few minutes later when Alex Wall was denied twice in the space of a few seconds by the impressive Hadler. His first effort was brilliantly blocked as the keeper burst off his line to narrow the gap before a second effort was struck straight at Hadler who stood tall to concede only a corner.

Gills slowly worked their way into the game courtesy of some patient and intricate midfield play. Parrett’s cross from the left hand side was a touch high for Hanlan and although Nash was well placed he didn’t connect with the ball as well as he would have liked and Ibrahim was able to watch the shot go wide of his right post.

Moments later and the Darts keeper had to be alert to stop Parrett from opening the scoring. The former Stevenage man going for power from 20 yards and his shot was palmed away by Ibrahim.

Fuller looked intent on going forward whenever he could and his positive attitude nearly paid dividends on 29 minutes. Receiving the ball back from Hanlan his first time shot was well blocked by a Dartford defender and eventually the hosts were able to clear their lines.

As Gills grew in confidence Lovell sensed a chance to use the flanks to their advantage and chose to go 3-5-2 with Charles-Cook and Simpson moving to wing-back. Fuller dropped in to partner Ehmer and Zakuani as centre-backs.

Gills had a couple of set plays before the end of the half, but neither team was able to break the deadlock before the interval.

H/T: 0-0

Josh Parker didn’t take long to get involved; the forward had an opportunity after just 12 seconds but his effort was straight into the hands of Ibrahim before a corner at the other end was well taken by Tomas Holy.

A lively start to the second period soon produced a goal; Bingham’s pass out to the right found O’Neill and his delivery was headed beyond Ibrahim by the incoming Elliott List.

Mark Onyemah came close to grabbing an equaliser but his drilled low effort from 20 yards was a comfortable stop for the Gills keeper. That half chance was put to the back of everyone’s mind within a few moments as List registered his second.

The forward received the ball on the edge of the box towards the left side, he shifted his body weight and found a pocket of space in which to get the ball onto his right foot and unleashed a shot which beat Ibrahim for the second time.

Dartford showed glimpses of being able to get back in the game but any hopes were dashed on 72 minutes when Parker added a third. Bingham, who looked comfortable throughout the half, was involved in the move and Parker found space on the edge of the box. Within which he turned and picked his spot; the finish too good for sub goalie Ryan Nicholls.

Five minutes from time and Dartford nearly pulled one back when Alfie Cue, on as a sub, evaded challenges from both O’Neill and Moussa to find space for a shot. Although simple enough for Holy he had to get down quickly to prevent the possibility of a follow up shot, and he held it well.

F/T: 0-3

Dartford: Ibrahim (Nicholls 59), Hatton, Onyemah, Noble (Mensah 42), Roast (Gillies 75), Bonner (Fisher 81), Greenhalgh (Sam-Yorke 59), Bradbrook, Wall (Vint 59), Oyenuga (Saad 81), Murphy (Cue 59).

Unused subs: Igahore, Fulton.

Gills (first half): Hadler, Fuller, Ehmer, Zakuani, Simpson, Byrne, Charles-Cook, Rees, Parrett, Hanlan, Nash.

Gills (second half): Holy, O'Neill, Lacey, O'Mara, Garmston, Bingham, Moussa, Reilly, Stevenson, Parker, List.

Attendance: 673

Referee: Mr G Ward

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account