Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Charlton secure victory at Priestfield.

18 July 2023

Gills beaten by League 1 Charlton at Priestfield.

Gills slipped to a 3-1 defeat at the hands of League 1 Charlton Athletic at Priestfield on Tuesday night.

The Addicks scored two quickfire goals early in the second half through Corey Blackett-Taylor and Jack Payne, with Will Wright's free-kick just after the half hour mark cancelling out a first minute goal from Tyreece Campbell.

Neil Harris named Glenn Morris in goal from the start with Ethan Coleman and George Lapslie in the midfield. Tom Nichols led the line in attack.

Charlton took the lead with barely 50 seconds on the clock, a ball over the top down the right channel found Campbell in space. His first touch was good and he advanced towards goal; Morris came out to narrow the gap but the forward kept his cool and found the back of the net.

Campbell missed a half chance to extend Charlton’s lead, and moments later the hosts nearly made the Addicks pay when Shaun Williams found SCott Malone in space on the left wing. His cross was excellent, met by Nichols, but the resulting header was guided just wide.

Within a couple of minutes the striker was at it again, this time he peeled off his man just inside the box on his left side. He took a shot quickly which was saved by Maynard-Brewer and the resulting corner was just about dealt with by the visiting defence.

Gills were enjoying a period of good territory and seemed the more likely to score next, and perhaps should have done on 24 minutes when a loose ball inside the Charlton box gave something for Nichols to chase. He looked favourite to get to it before the Addicks stopper but Maynard-Brewer got just enough on it to get it clear. Lapslie pounced but saw two shots well blocked by retreating defenders.

On 32 minutes the Gills finally got the goal their efforts warranted, and it came from a set play. Nichols was fouled just over 20 yards from goal, the referee played advantage but with Lapslie heading away from the goal the official decided to bring it back. Wright stepped up and sent a beautiful shot up and over the wall, beyond Maynard-Brewer and into the back of the net.


HT: Gills 1-1 Charlton


Charlton scored twice early in the half to seize control of the game. Firstly, Corey Blackett-Taylor fired home from inside the penalty box before Jack Payne pounced on a loose ball with Morris having initially made a good save to deny George Dobson, and the striker fired home from 12 yards.

The Addicks could have had a fourth, but Alfie May’s penalty was brilliantly saved by Morris low to his right hand side.

Gills had the ball in the back of the net with just six minutes to play, but the referee spotted a foul and so the celebrations were short lived.


F/T: Gills 1-3 Charlton



Gills: Morris (Turner 65), McKenzie (Orji 71), Wright, Masterson (Ehmer 71), Malone (Clark 65), S Williams (Dieng 65), Coleman, Jefferies (Chambers 71), J Williams (Clarke 71), Lapslie (Gbode 71), Nichols (Sithole 71).

Unused subs: Giles, Gale


Charlton starting XI: Maynard-Brewer, Thomas, Dobson, Campbell, Blackett-Taylor, Mitchell, Elerewe, Asiimwe, Anderson, Payne, May.

Subs: Isted, Ness, Jaiyesimi,  Fraser, Kirk, Henry, McGrandles, Egbo, Kanu, Bakrin, Roddy


Referee: Mr Gavin Ward

Attendance: 2932

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account