A look back at the promotion winning campaign

Richard Day continues to look back on the record-breaking 2012-13 League Two title winning campaign, we have got as far as October…

Despite wet and windy conditions at Sixfields the 100% away record continued with a 2-1 victory over Northampton Town on the 2nd.

Both teams had chances to open the scoring but just before the interval it was Deon Burton that did, the experienced striker latching onto a Stuart Nelson free-kick to slot the ball home.

Ten minutes into the second period the lead was doubled when Jack Payne found the corner of the net with a low drive.

Things got a little nervy after ex-Gill Adebayo Akinfenwa headed home on 81 minutes but the visitor’s rearguard stood firm despite Charlie Allen seeing red, following a second yellow card, in stoppage time.

Four days later a heroic display from Oxford United keeper Ryan Clarke kept the Gills at bay in a goalless draw at the Kassam Stadium.

After the game Martin Allen said of the goalie "Their goalkeeper was absolutely Gordon Banks, he was awesome.”

The Gills returned to Priestfield on the 13th when a resounding 90-odd minute display tore visitors Aldershot Town apart.

Young midfielder Allen rammed home his first goal for the club from close range to open the scoring in the 11th minute and Danny Kedwell's penalty increased the lead.

Myles Weston then put the result beyond doubt with a 38th minute near-post strike.

The fourth and final goal came just after the midway point of the second-half when Chris Whelpdale struck a low left-foot effort beyond Jamie Young that went in off the post.

In his post-match interview Martin Allen said "I'm absolutely delighted. We had a great attitude from the players, some fantastic football and it's been a really good day for our players.

Seven days later the Gills hit another four at home, this time it was promotion-chasing Burton Albion, unbeaten in eight going into the game, who were routed as three defenders hit the target in a 4-1 triumph.

Lewis Montrose had already hit the post before Tom Flanagan opened his goal account in the 22nd minute, firing high into the roof of the net from close range and five minutes from half-time Matt Fish added the second with a curling finish via the keeper and an upright.

Brewers skipper Zander Diamond pulled one back with a deflected shot but the two-goal advantage was restored just before the hour when Weston went past his marker with ease and drilled a low effort inside the far post.

The final goal came four minutes later when Joe Martin gave Stuart Tomlinson no chance with a stunning left-foot volley from 20-yards.

Then on October 23 the Gills suffered their first away defeat of the season at Torquay United which came despite dominating and taking a 53rd minute lead through Deon Burton, the striker taking advantage of hesitancy in the Gulls defence to net with a precise finish.

However Nathan Craig and Kevin Nicholson both struck to inflict defeat on Martin Allen’s side.

The month closed with the table-toppers returning to winning-ways with a single goal victory at AFC Wimbledon on the 27th.

Frenchman Romain Vincelot, a loanee from Brighton & HA, scored the only goal of the game on his debut with a low shot from the edge of the area much to the delight of the 856 travelling fans at an extremely windy Kingsmeadow. 

League form - WDWWLW          League position at the end of the month – Top

To buy your Season Ticket for the Gills 2013/14 campaign click the box below