John Marquis finds the net twice as Gills produce a strong second half display to defeat Oldham

Bradley Dack scored a spectacular second half goal to clinch back to back home wins for the Gills in a 3-2 win over Oldham at Priestfield.

The midfielder produced a brilliant volley on 70 minutes to beat Paul Rachubka, with John Marquis having scored twice in the first quarter of an hour to put the hosts in the driving seat.

Liam Kelly and Dominic Poleon levelled the match up at 2-2, but the Gills controlled proceedings following the interval and took maximum points to rise to 16th in the table.

The Gills coaching staff named an unchanged line up for the game, however Joe Martin returned to the subs bench after overcoming a calf problem.

Jermaine McGlashan had to make do with a place on the bench also, accompanied by Danny Galbraith who has yet to make his competitive debut at Priestfield.

The game started quietly but on seven minutes a fantastic individual effort from Marquis got the Gills off to a great start.

The striker was played in by McDonald just inside the Oldham half – he resisted the chance to play in Dack, cut inside and found the bottom corner with an accurate left foot passing shot which beat Rachubka.

The effort was inch perfect and got the hosts off to a perfect start. Oldham responded well, but on 14 minutes Gills doubled their advantage. James Wilson was robbed of possession by Dack; Marquis made the run and glided the ball beyond Rachubka for his second of the afternoon.

However within four minutes Oldham found a way back into the game, Dack bringing down Connor Brown inside the box with the full back looking to deliver a cross.

The referee pointed to the spot - Danny Philliskirk’s initial effort was saved well by Nelson before Liam Kelly drilled home the rebound.

And with the momentum in the Latics favour they levelled up the scores within five minutes. Garmston played a back pass to Nelson, his touch was slightly heavy and Poleon pounced on the loose ball to retrieve possession and eventually find the back of the net.

The Gills hard work had been undone in the space of just four minutes, but the hosts eventually settled down again and Josh Pritchard came very close on 32 minutes to netting a third.

A cross was headed away and the midfielder controlled the ball well before unleashing a drive towards the top corner which Rachubka did brilliantly to keep out, with Hessenthaler being flagged for offside as he chased the loose ball.

Mike Jones was denied by Nelson at the other end before Brian Wilson launched an effort over the bar.

H/T: 2-2

No changes were made at the break but Oldham started the second half as they finished the first. An early corner kick was headed away by Egan before Max Ehmer had a powerful effort well blocked inside the area.

As the hour mark passed Gillingham seemed to have weathered an early storm and progressively began to command proceedings, especially following the introduction of McGlashan who replaced the booked Jake Hessenthaler.

A couple of set pieces came and went before the hosts finally got what proved to be the winner just 20 minutes from time.

A cross from the right hand side by Gavin Hoyte was headed away, and Dack composed himself before striking a volley which took a deflection before making its way past the keeper.

Priestfield erupted as the Gills once again took control of the game, but Oldham refused to give in and their best chance to take a point fell to new signing Jacob Ellis who narrowly missed the near post with a powerful strike.

Cody McDonald could have bagged a fourth as the clock ticked down, but the Gills saw the game out to clinch their second home win in the space of a week to ease away from the League One relegation places.

F/T: 3-2

Gills:  Nelson, Hoyte, Egan, Ehmer, Garmston (Dickenson 68), Pritchard, Hessenthaler (McGlashan 68), Loft, Dack, Marquis (Martin 90), McDonald.
Unused subs: G Morris, Legge, Galbraith, Norris.

Oldham: Rachubka, Brown, Elokobi, Kelly, Jones, Poleon, Philliskirk (Dayton 73), Winchester (Mellis 72), J Wilson, B Wilson, Morgan-Smith.
Unused subs: Dieng, Coleman, Lockwood, Kusunga, Jacobs.

Referee: Mr A Woolmer

Attendance: 4959