Report | Scunthorpe United 0-2 Gillingham

Gills take all three points from Glanford Park in brilliant performance.

Gillingham put the Iron to the sword on Saturday afternoon at Glanford Park, claiming all three points against Scunthorpe to move up to 16th in Sky Bet League One.

The teams were level at the break despite the Gills bossing chances and possession - Tom Eaves and Elliott List had the pick of the opportunities but were unable to convert.

The visitors put on their shooting boots at the break and were soon ahead through Tom Eaves’ 13th league goal of the season as the division's top scorer controlled a cross before firing home. The lead was doubled very shortly after through a fantastic Dean Parrett strike, hammering home an unstoppable volley from inside the area.

Eaves could have added a cherry on top but placed a spot kick over after Parrett had drawn a foul when he drove powerfully into the area.

Gillingham Manager Steve Lovell had named an unchanged side from the team that saw off Slough to reach the Third Round of the FA Cup with DJ Oldaker again starting in the sitting role within the diamond. Billy Bingham came into the matchday squad in place of Brandon Hanlan who sat out due to an injured hand.

The Gills started the brighter of the two teams with Mark Byrne getting a shot in from the edge of the area which was well blocked before Elliott List did well to win a corner but the floated ball in eluded everyone.

Six minutes in the Gills were inches away from taking the lead as Josh Parker got in behind the Scunthorpe defence before beating his man and delivering a low cross across goal that Eaves met but couldn’t get enough on the ball to push it back on goal.

The hosts were growing into the game with Tomas Holy doing well to claim a corner swung in for a physical Scunthorpe team to attack. Dean Parrett also went into the book for a late tackle in the middle of the park after a quarter of an hour.

Lund had a good opportunity for Scunthorpe when Morris slipped him in down the left but his shot was straight at Holy. Up the other end a good low cross from Connor Ogilvie was met by Eaves but he couldn’t get enough power on his flicked effort to worry the keeper.

List’s pace was causing the Iron serious trouble with his runs in behind. When he got in again a low cross towards Eaves was diverted behind by the recovering Scunthorpe defence.

The Gills were dominating the game playing some great football. Another great run from List saw the striker pull the ball back towards Parrett but his effort was brilliantly blocked before a Byrne header flew wide of the post.

A scuffed Lund effort on the turn from the top of the box was the best the hosts could muster.

Oldaker had his first sighter just before the half hour as he took aim from 30 yards on his left foot and although his strike was pure it rose over the bar.

Scunthorpe had a golden chance to take the lead when Oldaker slipped on the treacherous surface allowing a three on two break, but Thomas dawdled on the ball and Byrne got back to hack the ball clear.

Gillingham continued to dominate the play with Parrett seeing a free-kick from 30 yards blocked before a Scunthorpe player also got in the way of Ogilvie’s effort from a similar distance.

List did then have a great chance to take a deserved lead for the Gills as a corner fell to him in the area but having to react quickly he placed his shot over the bar.

The game was increasingly even as half-time loomed with the Iron appearing to have got to grips with the Gills. Perch did have a good chance when he had time and space on the edge of the box but Holy was able to watch the ball all the way over into the travelling fans before Borthwick-Jackson got in behind the defence, but his effort also sailed over.

That was the final action of a first half that had seen Gillingham dominate most of the possession and chances but unable to capitalise in making the breakthrough.

H/T: 0 – 0

Lund had the first effort of the second-half with both teams unchanged, however from the corner of the box he blazed way over.

The Gills were still playing some nice football with Parker slipping in Barry Fuller down the right wing but nobody could get on the end of his wicked cross.

However, the pressure did finally tell after Parrett initially hit the post with a shot from the edge of the area before the ball was recycled and TOM EAVES controlled Ogilvie’s cross before lashing past Alnwick.

The hosts came straight back at the Gills with Morris lashing over from 25 yards.

The lead was doubled shortly after as a move down the right saw Byrne cute the ball back for DEAN PARRETT who had an eternity to control the ball, wait for the bounce to drop before firing an unstoppable volley home.

A third nearly came for the Gills following more great hold up play from List but Parrett’s shot was blocked behind before Eaves was slipped in down the left and fired wide from a tight angle.

Steve Lovell was forced into a change after 68 minutes when Ehmer flew into the turf near the corner flag after a heavy tackle and Alex Lacey was brought into the centre of defence.

The visitors were manging the game fairly well as Scunthorpe looked for a way back in, Parrett going closest with a blasted effort from 25 yards that was deflected wide.

Gillingham were awarded a penalty after 78 minutes as Parrett, who had put in a blinding performance, drove into the box and was hacked down. Eaves took the penalty but fired over the bar.

As the game ticked towards full-time, Morris scuffed an effort into the side netting after some pin ball in the Gills box, but the defence was standing firm and saw out the remaining minutes to claim a great win on the road.

F/T: 0 – 2

Gillingham return to Kent next Saturday after three games in a row on the road when they host Wycombe Wanderers at the Medway Priestfield Stadium

Scunthorpe United: Alnwick; Borthwick-Jackson, McArdle, Perch, Burgess; Thomas (Dales 71), Wootton, Lund (Ugbo, 61), Morris, Goode; Novak

Unused subs: Flatt (GK), Horsfield, Humphrys, El-Mhanni, Sutton

Gillingham: Holy; Fuller, Zakuani, Ehmer (Lacey, 68), Ogilvie; Oldaker, Parrett (Bingham, 82), Byrne, List; Eaves, Parker

Unused subs: Hadler (GK), Garmston, O’Neill, Rees, Charles-Cook

Referee: Mr Graham Salisbury                     

Attendance: 3,054 (182)