Report | Sevenoaks Town 1-3 Gillingham

Oldaker, Nash and Nasseri all hit the target as Gills win at Sevenoaks.

Gillingham saw off a very competitive Sevenoaks side to record a 3-1 win at the Bourne Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Darren Oldaker put the visiting side ahead early in the second-half with an excellent shot from wide on the left, only for Ryan Fowler to equalise eight minutes later, with Louie Catherall having already saved a penalty.

Aaron Simpson was forced to clear an effort off the line to prevent Gills from falling behind before Liam Nash and Navid Nasseri added another two goals to be sure of victory.

Ian Cox and Ben White were in the dugout and named a blend of experience and youth for the fixture with Louie Catherall starting in goal. Jack Tucker and Ryan Huckle paired up in the centre of defence while Navid Nasseri, Conor Wilkinson and Noel Mbo provided the attacking options.

Liam Nash, on returning from his loan spell at Dulwich Hamlet, was among the substitutes with Danny Divine and Joe Walsh also in the squad.

Gillingham nearly took the lead inside three minutes; Mbo nearly caught out the Sevenoaks keeper as he prepared to kick clear following an under-hit back pass, with Wilkinson moments later winning a header inside the area with the keeper beaten, however a defender sprinted towards the line and did well to clear.

A right-footed effort from Nasseri was deflected wide for a corner before Catherall was called upon for the first time, saving a low effort to his right hand side with relative ease before catching a cross at his near post.

With 25 minutes gone Wilkinson did brilliantly to chest down a forward pass from Tucker inside the box; he brought the ball inside as a defender looked to win possession, the striker went to ground but the referee waved away appeals for a penalty. Moments later a corner from Oldaker found Tucker who guided a header just wide of the right post.

On 37 minutes Sevenoaks thought they had taken the lead when a loose ball inside the box was neatly finished with a low drive, however the offside flag had already gone up.

H/T: 0-0

The half was only a few minutes old when Noel Mbo put the Gills ahead following a fine header from Oldaker’s drilled corner kick from the left side.

However Sevenoaks had a golden chance to get back in the game when the referee awarded a penalty against Wilkinson. Catherall stood tall, did brilliantly to save both the penalty and a follow up effort which went for a corner.

Unfortunately for the visiting keeper his joy was short lived as Ryan Fowler drilled home from just inside the box a minute later as the Gills defence failed to clear their lines.

A couple of missed half chances for the hosts were punished when sub Nash, on for Mbo, converted from close range to put the Gills back in front. An initial effort had been thwarted but a loose ball from six yards was won by the striker who managed to find a way past the advancing keeper.

With 15 minutes to play the lively Nasseri came to life once more when his excellent run, which saw him advance 30 yards before turning a defender inside out, gave him space for a shot and the keeper had to be alert to palm away his left footed strike.

Oldaker nearly got a second in the closing stages when his right footed effort across the face of goal failed to find another yellow and white shirt before a goal-kick was given.

Sevenoaks pushed for an equaliser but the Gills defence, including sub Danny Divine, did well to thwart a late surge with Nasseri adding a third before the end with a good finish.

F/T: 1-3

Gills: Catherall, Trialist (Divine 87), Huckle, Tucker, Simpson, Oldaker, Trialist (Woods 87), Chapman, Nasseri, Wilkinson, Mbo (Nash 53).

Unused subs: Walsh