Report | Wycombe Wanderers 0-1 Gillingham

Late drama at Adams Park as Charles-Cook fires home crucial Gills winner.

Regan Charles-Cook was the match winner for Gillingham as he scored the only goal of the game in the 83rd minute at Adams Park on Saturday.

Fantastic work from Brandon Hanlan down the right side of the penalty area led to him beating Sido Jombati and providing an excellent ball for Charles-Cook to chest home.

The Gills looked to win at Adams Park following two positive performances against Scunthorpe and Sunderland.

Manager Steve Lovell made one change to the side that lost 4-2 to the Black Cats on Tuesday as Billy Bingham replaced Darren Oldaker.

The Wycombe team saw former Gillingham striker Adebayo Akinfenwa in the starting 11, whilst Michael Harriman was named amongst the substitutes.

It was a quiet opening five minutes in the game, with the only chance of note being a header from Akinfenwa which went well wide of the post.

Akinfenwa continued to cause the Gillingham defence problems and in the tenth minute he almost broke the deadlock.

He managed to chest the ball on the edge of the penalty area before turning and shooting on the volley. Fortunately, Tomas Holy was equal to it and tipped it wide for a corner.

The Gills won a free kick 25-yards out near the touchline following fantastic work from Hanlan. He showed great strength to hold onto the ball, then followed it up with a bit of skill to beat Sido Jombati before being fouled.

Luke O’Neill took the set piece and it was sliced behind for a corner, however, his corner was easily claimed by Ryan Allsop.

It took until the 23rd minute for the Gills to conjure up their first real chance.

Graham Burke and Leo da Silva Lopes linked up in midfield to drive the visitors up the pitch. O’Neill put the cross in for Tom Eaves, but he headed just over. However, the linesman’s flag was raised for offside.

Wycombe had a great chance to take the lead, just ten minutes before the break and it was once again Akinfenwa who had the chance.

Jason McCarthy broke into the penalty area following a fortuitous bounce and drilled a low cross into the path of the former Gills forward. However, as he shot he leant back too far and skied his effort well over the bar.

Hanlan had the visitors first shot on target in the 38th minute, he latched onto a loose ball inside the Wycombe half before shooting from 20 yards out. His effort took a deflection on its way towards goal and was more than comfortable for Allsop.

Just before the break the Gills were forced into their first substitution as Billy Bingham came off with a hamstring issue. He was replaced by Dean Parrett.

Half-Time: Wycombe 0-0 Gillingham

In the 54th minute the Gills won a corner thanks to some smart play from Parrett.

He ran into the massive gap in the midfield to latch onto a throw in, the touch off his chest beat Anthony Stewart, leading to McCarthy clearing for a corner.

The resulting corner was cleared as far as Parrett, but his shot was fired well over the bar.

Parrett was a breath of fresh air in the start of the second half as he led a Gillingham counter attack towards the Wycombe penalty area.

He laid it off to Mark Byrne whose goal bound shot was blocked as the Gills attack died down.

On the hour mark the home side had a golden chance to take the lead.

A big kick from Allsop was headed down by Akinfenwa into the path of Scott Kashket. His effort just inside the box was fierce but straight at Holy.

Gills loanee Tahvon Campbell came on for his debut in the 67th minute as he replaced Tom Eaves.

Parrett was again the focal point of a counter attack as he drove towards the Wycombe penalty area, his lay off was weak but O’Neill recovered the ball.

He cut inside on his left foot 20 yards from goal but fired over the bar.

Wycombe had another golden chance with less than ten minutes to go; Nick Freeman whipped in a cross to the back post, which was met by the oncoming McCarthy.

From three yards out, he managed to scoop his shot well over the bar.

In the 83rd minute the Gills took the lead, sending the away end into raptures.

A long kick from Holy was met by Hanlan who did brilliantly to get beyond Jombati. He then drilled his cross towards the centre of the six yard box and it was met by substitute Regan Charles-Cook who bundled the ball into the back of the net.

The hosts almost equalised straight from kick-off as a cross into the box was met by Akinfenwa. Fortunately, his header was saved by Holy and Dominic Gape failed to make contact with the rebound as the Gills cleared their lines.

Following four minutes of stoppage time, Gillingham managed to hang on for what was a massive three points. It was a gritty and determined victory in a second half which the Gills grew into and looked dangerous on the counter attack, with Hanlan causing Wycombe all kinds of problems with his pace.

 Full-Time: Wycombe 0-1 Gillingham


Wycombe: Alssop; McCarthy, Jombati, Stewart, Jacobson; Thompson, Gape, Bloomfield (Tyson 87’); Cowan-Hall (Freeman 72’), Kashket (Samuel 62’); Akinfenwa

Unused Substitutes: Yates, Bean, Owens, Harriman


Gillingham: Holy (GK), O’Neill, Ehmer, Ogilvie, Fuller; Bingham (Parrett 45’), Da Silva Lopes, Byrne, Burke (Charles-Cook 78’); Eaves (Campbell 67’), Hanlan

Substitutes: Hadler, Reilly, List, Oldaker


Referee: Carl Boyeson