Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-2 Rotherham United

Defeat at ME7 results in relegation to League Two for the Gills.

30 April 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 0-2 Rotherham United

Defeat at ME7 results in relegation to League Two for the Gills.

30 April 2022

Gills lose 2-0 at Priestfield to confirm relegation to League Two.

Gillingham were relegated from League One following a 2-0 defeat to Rotherham United on Saturday.

Neil Harris named an unchanged starting XI following the defeat to Portsmouth. Captain, Stuart O'Keefe was fit enough to start.

In the 12th minute, Jordi Osei-Tutu got in behind the Gills defence in a great shooting position. However, Jack Tucker came bravely sliding in to block the Rotherham man’s attempt.

Minutes later, Aaron Chapman did brilliantly denying Rarmani Edmonds-Green. A low ball into the box was flicked on by the defender, and the Gills keeper produced great reflexes to push it away.

Ben Reeves tested Viktor Johansson with a free-kick just after the half-hour mark. However, it was caught by the Rotherham keeper.

Moments later, Rarmani Edmonds-Green put Rotherham in front. A corner was headed towards goal by Michael Ihiekwe, and Edmonds-Green was there to get the final touch.

Right after the goal, Michael Smith missed a guilt-edged opportunity to double the lead for the visitors. The ball was played across the penalty area, and Smith was able to get onto the end of it with plenty of time and space. Fortunately, from close range, he missed the target.

Ben Thompson almost brought Gills level on the stroke of half-time. Jack Tucker's header down put Thompson in on goal, and his effort hit the underside of the crossbar before going away from the danger.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-1 Rotherham United


Gills started the second half brightly, and Max Ehmer was denied by a big block. Ryan Jackson’s cross was headed as far as Conor Masterson, who played it down to Ehmer. His strong effort looked like it was going to test Johansson, but that was also blocked.

Ben Wiles came close to scoring for the visitors with a diving header. A cross was played towards the six-yard box, where Wiles went across his man to head goalward. However, Chapman was on hand again with his quick reactions to push it away from the goal.

Wiles tested Chapman from 25 yards as he was given plenty of time and space to shoot. His effort had plenty of power, but the Gills keeper did well to get across and push away.

Rotherham thought that they had doubled their lead in the 86th minute after Chapman had initially made the save. However, the referee blew for offside after Richard Wood scored.

In the final minute of normal time, Georgie Kelly scored for Rotherham. They managed to take advantage of the number of men around the penalty area, and Kelly was there to smash home.


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 0-2 Rotherham United


Gillingham: Chapman, Jackson, Tucker, Ehmer, Masterson (Phillips 74’), Tutonda (Sithole 87’), O’Keefe, Lee (Carayol 67’), Thompson, Reeves, Oliver

Unused Substitutes: Dahlberg, Lintott, Maghoma, Chambers


Rotherham United: Johansson, Harding, Barlaser, Wood, Osei-Tutu (Mattock 67’), Wiles, Ogbene, Rathbone (Odoffin 90), Ihiekwe, Edmonds-Green, Smith (Kelly 80’)

Unused Substitutes: Chapman, Bolas, Lindsay, Kayode


Attendance: 8542 (2256)


Referee: Mr S Barrott

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account