Gills youngsters enjoy comfortable win...

A crowd of 144 saw a young Gillingham side put in a competent display in what ended a comfortable victory over Ryman League Division One (South) Whitstable Town at the Belmont Ground on Tuesday night.

With first-team boss Martin Allen and John Schofield watching from the stand along with Director of Football Andy Hessenthaler, the Gills got their passing game together well after a nervy start.

Joe Carter, Alex Brown and Ashley Miller all failed to hit the target with chances before the Gills took a 35th minute lead.

Brown, who instigated the move, was blocked off as he looked to get on the end of George Humber's low ball across the area but Ben May was on hand to hammer home a low shot past Nick Shaw.

Seven minutes later a great piece of work from Carter set up May to head home but unfortunately for the big striker not only was the 'goal' ruled out for offside but he also took a whack from the keeper for his troubles.

The home side, skippered by Nicky Southall, only created one clear cut opening in the first-half but Daren Hawkes didn't even have to make a save as a decent strike was blocked by a team-mate.

May was replaced by Michael Freiter at the break with Miller pushed forward alongside George Humber.

Shaw reacted quickly to deny Humber a shooting opportunity after a Laurence Harvey error at the back.

Miller was then denied by the keeper and Josh Hare clipped the bar with a header before another Miller effort looked to have found the net via the bar but the assistant referee seemed to have a good view.

At the other end Michael Everitt glanced a Southall header wide but then in the 64th minute the Gills went two up.

A good run down the left by Miller saw him cut inside and find Frankie Raymond, released by Reading at the end of last season, the youngster took a touch before finding the top right-hand corner of Shaw's net with a cracking left-foot strike.

After Damian Abel and Dan Wisker fired wide for the Oystermen the Gills went three-up with four minutes remaining.

Brown found substitute Charlie Webster who broke into the area and laid the ball off to fellow sub Aaron Millbank who struck a low shot past Robert French.

Town - Shaw (French 58), Hamshare (Healey 85), Suter (Hickman H/T), Everitt, Groombridge, Harvey (Wisker 62), Southall (Morrish 62), Beecroft (Heard 62), Pulman (Vahid 58), Abel, Luchford

Gills - Hawkes, Parter, Carter, Raymond, Hare, Maughan (Staunton 75), Morris (Webster 75), Brown, May (Freiter H/T), Humber (Millbank 80), Miller  Unused sub: Nalder