We look ahead to the weekend fixture at the EBB Stadium

npower League Two
EBB Stadium
Saturday March 2 2013
Kick-off: 3.00pm

In this afternoon’s press conference assistant manager John Schofield said that there were ‘a few bumps and bruises’ but he was hopeful that there would be a fully fit squad to choose from for the weekend trip to Aldershot.
New Shots boss Andy Scott made three changes for the midweek trip to Chesterfield with left-back Anthony Tonkin, midfielder Danny Rose and striker Craig Reid replacing Aaron Morris, Asa Hall and Adam Mekki.

Aldershot go into this weekend’s fixture lying 19th in the League Two table having taken 38 points (nine wins and 11 draws) from their 35 games.

The Shots are unbeaten in their last four games with two wins and two draws while at the EBB Stadium they have won five and drawn three of the 17 fixtures.

Andy Scott was named as the new Aldershot manager on February 22 after the Hampshire club had sacked Dean Holdsworth.

Danny Kedwell continues to lead the way for the Gills with 12 goals to his name and he remains one ahead of strike partner Deon Burton.

Next in line are Myles Weston (7) and Chris Whelpdale (6).

The Shots leading goalscorer at this moment is Danny Hylton who has netted a dozen times, eight of which came in FA Cup games. He is two ahead of former Newport County striker Craig Reid who has hit the target 10 times.

These two are well ahead of Troy Brown and Peter Vincenti who both have three goals to their name while Danny Rose has two.
Earlier in the season on loan Stevenage striker Daniel Lopez had scored six in 12 appearances during his spell at the EBB Stadium.

Back in October an exhilarating first-half display saw the Gills race into a three-goal lead, on their way to a 4-0 triumph.

Charlie Allen opened the scoring with his first goal for the club, Danny Kedwell moved into double figures for the season with a penalty then Myles Weston drilled home a third.

After the break the Gills played the possession game rather than go gung-ho for more goals but Chris Whelpdale rounded things off with a deserved fourth.

Gills – Nelson, Fish, Martin (Frampton H/T), Payne (Strevens 61), Flanagan, Whelpdale, Kedwell, Allen, Weston (Findley 68), Barrett, Wright Unused subs: Montrose, Dack, Burton, Forecast,

Shots – Young, Herd, A.Morris, Brown, Hylton, Vincenti, Branston, Mekki (Payne 79), Reid (Rankine 85), Bradley, Rose Unused subs: Lancashire, Bergqvist, Anderson, Donnolly, G.Morris

Attendance: 5,039 (188 Shots)

There have been 67 games between the Gills and the Shots over the years which date back to an FA Cup tie here at Priestfield in December 1930. Of these Gillingham have won 28 times and drawn another 15.

It was two seasons later that the first league fixtures took place in Division Three (South) with both team’s running out comfortable winners at home. In September 1932 Aldershot won 3-0 at home but four months later Fred Liddle, George Purcell, Sim Raleigh, Jim Nicol and George Kidd all scored as the Gills recorded a 5-2 victory.

At the Recreation Ground there have been 32 previous league games between the two teams, these have resulted in 16 wins for Aldershot, 10 for the Gills and six draws.

Referee: Steven Rushton
Assistant referee’s: Ian Rathbone & Timothy Wood
Fourth Official: David Rock

The Staffordshire official has taken charge of 25 games previously this season issuing 67 yellow cards and eight reds, all of which came in the first 11 games.

He was the man in the middle for two Gillingham games last season, the 4-3 loss at Accrington and the 3-1 home win against Swindon.