Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 July 2013

Club News


6 July 2013

Gills cruise to a very comfortable win at Hayes Lane

Gillingham claimed their third win of pre-season with a comfortable victory at a gloriously sunny Hayes Lane.

Martin Allen named a very strong squad for the Gills trip to Hayes Lane as players stepped up their preparations for the new season with a competitive 45 minute work out.

Despite the blistering heat Gills made a very bright start and thought they had taken the lead after just 80 seconds. Danny Kedwell controlled the ball in the Bromley area, laid off for Chris Whelpdale whose low curler from the edge of the box found the net off the heels of Bradley Dack, only to be ruled out for offside.

On five minutes the visitors were denied again, twice in quick succession. First Kedwell played a perfectly timed through pass for Myles Weston, whose finish was charged down by keeper George Howard before Whelpdale’s follow up effort was hacked clear by Dawayne Campbell.

Kedwell and Weston both went close before the hosts almost took the lead with their first chance on 11 minutes. Elliot Buchanan’s corner carried to Kedwell at the far post and the striker’s headed clearance bounced uncomfortably close to the net before carrying over the crossbar.

Keeper Howard was called into action at the opposite end soon after to turn away an angled shot from Weston, while Callum Davies showed quick feet to get goal side of Jay May, his diving header denying the Bromley forward a goal scoring opportunity.

Gills found the net again on 22 minutes after Charlie Allen’s lung-bursting run down the right tore the home defence to shreds. The livewire midfielder played a neat square ball to Weston, who in turn laid off to Kedwell, his low effort looked to be drifting wide before Allen turned it home at the far post, only to be ruled offside once again.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 28th minute as a neatly worked goal saw Amine Linganzi and Whelpdale combine to find Bradley Dack in the area. The young midfielder took his time, rounded the Bromley custodian and slotted home from close range to give the visitors the lead.

Matt Fish cleared the bar soon after while Weston disposed Joe Anderson but was unable to beat the keeper, before the Gills added their second on 35 minutes. Allen’s corner found its way to Fish whose low ball into the box was diverted into the net by skipper Adam Barrett.

Four minutes later the visitors were awarded a penalty after Steven Smith brought down Myles Weston on the right side of the area. Danny Kedwell took responsibility, thumping his spot-kick into the top right corner for Gillingham’s third.

Dack curled a good effort just wide in the closing stages of the half, while a Pierre Joseph-Dubois effort from the edge of the area was deflected over by the combined efforts of Barrett and Linganzi as Stuart Nelson was largely untested in the opening 45 minutes.

H/T: 0-3

Martin made ten changes at the break, replacing all ten outfield players with just Nelson remaining between the posts but the Gills continued to look strong and could have extended their lead on 50 minutes as Sam Muggleton’s cross from the left just evaded Bayo Akinfenwa at the far post.

Josh Hare headed over from a Harry Grant centre, while Bromley keeper Howard pulled off a fine diving save to thwart Akinfenwa’s header from point blank range, Grant again the supplier with a pin point cross from the right hand side.

On 60 minutes, Bayo controlled a Muggleton long throw on his chest, teeing up Grant to rifle a rising drive just over the cross bar. At the opposite end the hosts were denied when Shamir Mullings latched on to a long through ball only to see his finish blocked by the legs of Stuart Nelson.

Adam Birchall struck a low effort wide from distance and the impressive Mullings was denied again by Nelson just short of the 70 minute mark. This time Josh Hare did just enough to block the striker’s shot which looped off his heels and into the hands of the Gills No.1.

The heat seemed to take its toll on both sides as the half wore on and chances were reduced to a premium as both defences took control of the game. Stuart Nelson finally made way with five minutes remaining allowing trialist Tom Gowans to see out the finally few minutes of the half.

Three minutes from time Kane Haysmen was desperately unlucky not to claim a fourth goal for the Gills. Antonio German played in Stephen Butcher down the right flank, Haysmen did well to shake his man and get a shot away only to see it come back off the upright with the keeper save his follow up shot as well.

At the other end Warren McBean found himself clean through with only the keeper to beat but was also denied as Gowans stole the ball off his toes as the Bromley sub attempted to claim a consolation for his side.

Gillingham: Stuart Nelson (Tom Gowans 84), Matt Fish (Stephen Butcher H/T), Callum Davies (Devante McKain H/T), Adam Barrett (Josh Hare H/T), Joe Martin (Sam Muggleton H/T), Bradley Dack (Antonio German H/T), Charlie Allen (Kane Haysman H/T), Danny Kedwell (Bayo Akinfenwa, Chris Whelpdale (Harry Grant H/T), Amine Linganzi (Steven Gregory H/T), Myles Weston (Adam Birchall H/T).

Bromley: George Howard, Alex Bentley (Shamir Mullings H/T), Joe Anderson (Josh Kennedy H/T), Ashley Nicholls (Jack Sammoutis 70), Dawayne Campbell (Mike Jones H/T), Steven Smith, Brendan Keirnan (Jack Holland H/T), Danny Waldren (Giannoulis Fakinos 81), Pierre Joseph-Dubois (Mitchel Hunter H/T), Jay May (Warren McBean 72), Elliot Buchanan (Jordan Clarke 36)

Subs not used: Max Hunter, Carlos Talbot, Reece Hall, Max Fitzgerald, Karimm German

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account