Gills boss happy with third straight draw after strong second half display

Martin Allen said he thought his side were unlucky not to have come away with all three points in the 1-1 draw with Rochdale at Spotland on Tuesday night after a spirited second half performance.

George Donnelly’s 12th minute goal was cancelled out by Danny Kedwell’s early second half header, and despite enjoying good possession, the Gills were unable to grab a winner.

Martin said: “I thought we played very, very well in the second half and we changed our formation. We changed our shape for the first time this season and had quite a few good opportunities in the second half.

“The team we were playing against were playing with freedom and doing things like playing with three up on the half way line at corners and that kind of stuff which you can do when you’re just middle of the table.

“That brought different things that we had to think about so we changed it at half time and the players were fantastic in the second half and I thought we were unlucky not to win it.”

The goal conceded resulted from an error by Leon Legge in defence, but the Manager said he would not blame his defender for the mistake as everyone will make one at some stage.

He added: “It was an error – it was the first shot they had at our goal but these things happen over a season and I won’t portion any blame to him or our goalkeeper or any of the team.

“We all make mistakes and have days when it doesn’t go so well. Those are battles, it’s not the war and the war is the long term thing.

“Here we are with another draw in the North of England. It’s our fourth game in 10 days; we’ve been to Exeter and Morecambe and what a fantastic achievement and effort from our players.

“The commitment and unity of the squad and the players and we now get back on the bus quietly and get ready for the home game on Saturday.”

The only sour point of the night came in the last few minutes when Andy Frampton was sent off for an off the ball incident involving Bobby Grant, and Martin said he would need to see the incident again before deciding what to do next.

He added: “I’ve spoken to Andrew – you couldn’t get a more honest and decent bloke than him and he said he didn’t touch him.

"I haven’t seen it so I can’t really comment but he’s adamant that he didn’t do anything and the guy has gone down holding his face.

“We will keep that private and internal and I would never criticise their player and if there is something to be said or done with Andrew then that will remain private with me, Andrew and obviously the Chairman.”