Gills representatives exit the Football League Girls Cup in the Southern Final

Yesterday saw the girls from St Simon Stock School travel to Watford FC to represent the Gills in the Southern England Finals of The Football League Under-13 Girls Cup. Having overcome Southend United in the final of the area heats, the girls had the chance to book a place at Wembley, with only AFC Bournemouth, Cheltenham and Watford blocking their path.

The tournament was held on Watford FC’s Community Trust 3G pitch, with all four teams playing each other once and the top side after all three games progressing to Wembley.

The Gillingham girls had to face Watford in the first game, whose representatives had previously made the finals at Wembley. They made a slow start and were caught early with a long range effort to go 1-0 down. After this the girls started to control the game and saw numerous shots saved, hit the woodwork or narrowly go wide. Watford had a couple of chances which were well saved by the Gills keeper. Our girls went all out for an equalizer in the second-half but it wasn’t to be, Watford winning 1-0.

Next up was AFC Bournemouth and again the girls were caught with an early goal as Bournemouth struck a powerful shot from distance straight into the top corner. The Gills responded well and took control of the match, knocking the ball around with ease and confidence but just couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net. The second-half saw Gills continue to press and their best chance was an effort from range which hit the inside of the post and unfortunately came back out. Bournemouth saw a couple of long range efforts go wide but didn’t really trouble the Gills keeper but sadly our girls couldn’t find the all important equalizer meaning a 1-0 win for Bournemouth and no chance of reaching Wembley.

In their last game against Cheltenham the girls again dominated the majority of the game scoring twice but luck was not on their side as they also scored two own-goals after a couple of harsh deflections. With the clock running down the girls continued to press for a winner but were dealt a brutal blow as they were caught on the counter and Cheltenham scored a winner in the final seconds to win 3-2.

Congratulations to Bournemouth who won all three of their games and will now head off to Wembley to represent the South in the National Final. 

Although the girls were clearly disappointed they played some fantastic football and were unlucky not to have seen their efforts rewarded with more. Sadly it wasn’t to be and the road to Wembley has ended for the Gills in this season’s Girls Cup. Commiserations to St Simon Stock and thanks for all your efforts and hard work, we look forward to seeing them in next season’s cup.

Well done to all involved!