Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 July 2014

Club News


15 July 2014

Gills ease to pre-season victory over Bromley at Hayes Lane

Two quick fire second half goals from Danny Kedwell and Brennan Dickenson secured a comfortable 2-0 win for Gillingham against Bromley at Hayes Lane on Tuesday night.


Both players came off the bench at half time, along with nine other replacements, to guarantee successive wins in the club’s opening fixtures of the pre-season campaign.

Peter Taylor once again chose to field a side for either half with Gary Borrowdale starting the game at left back with trialist Josh Stanford playing just in front of him on the wing.

Luke Norris partnered Antonio German in attack with Amine Linganzi providing the power in midfield.

Before the match former Gillingham and Bromley goalkeeper George Howard was welcomed to the stadium following his serious accident in South Africa.

To the action and Gills created the better of the openings in the first ten minutes and were denied on eight minutes after a fantastic save from Seb Brown.

The visitors worked the ball across from the left wing and found Devante McKain in a few yards of space; he moved to one side and unleashed a powerful effort from 25 yards which the keeper only just tipped over the bar.

Norris and German had opportunities well blocked by the Bromley defence before Sam Long scuppered a chance to get a cross into the box with Adam Birchall having worked the ball out wide following a free kick.

A Dack set piece was easily saved by Brown on 20 minutes before a low effort by Norris was easily dealt with by the Bromley stopper.

Norris was in action again just before the break – Dack was fouled 25 yards from goal but the referee played advantage and the resulting opportunity for the striker was struck just wide.

Half time was called early when Sam Long went down in an enormous amount of pain following an innocuous looking challenge from Stanford.

The Bromley full back was receiving treatment during the interval, and was replaced as a result and quickly taken to hospital.

H/T: 0-0

Gills made wholesale changes at the break with Glenn Morris appearing for the club for the very first time between the sticks – Doug Loft wore the Captain’s armband.

Bromley nearly took the lead four minutes in when Moses Ademola worked his way into the box and had an effort blocked by Legge.

Birchall was the first man to the rebound but Morris stood tall to block the effort – this proved irrelevant when the offside flag was raised.

Brennan Dickenson was then involved twice in quick succession – he had a brief altercation with Louis Dennis when he ran around his marker before moments later delivering a good cross which Cody McDonald was just unable to get anything on.

Loft similarly couldn’t convert from close range on 61 minutes when Jermaine McGlashan produced a teasing cross from the right wing, but the former Port Vale man had run towards the ball and had to watch it go over his head.

Four minutes later and Dickenson was at it again, this time a shot from just inside the area went over the bar following good build up play from Loft and Matt Fish.

He won a free kick shortly after which resulted in a corner being awarded – Hessenthaler whipped it in with Leon Legge just inches away from making a good connection.

On 69 minutes Gillingham were awarded a penalty when Adam Bailey-Dennis brought down Danny Kedwell inside the penalty area.

The striker dusted himself off and calmly converted beyond Brown to give the visitors a deserved lead.

After waiting to get one on the board Gills were celebrating a second within two minutes when McGlashan did well on the right to get away from his marker and deliver a ball towards the penalty spot.

Dickenson had wondered in from the left and at the second time of asking fired it home from 10 yards.

It was no more than the player deserved following some tireless work since being introduced as a sub and ensured the visitors had some breathing space for the remainder of the game.

With seven minutes left McDonald sparked into life when he nearly converted a Jake Hessenthaler through ball, however his first touch was heavy and Seb Brown was able to watch it go behind for a goal kick.

This proved the last meaningful action of the afternoon, with former Gills striker Birchall awarded the `Man of the Match` award by the home club’s sponsors.

F/T: 0-2

Gills (1st half): Nelson, Hare, Egan, Barrett, Borrowdale, McKain, Linganzi, Stanford, Dack, Norris, German.

Gills (2nd half): G Morris, Fish, Legge, Davies, Martin, Loft, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, Dickenson, McDonald, Kedwell

Bromley: Seb Brown, Sam Long (Adam Bailey-Dennis), Joe Anderson, Ali Fuseini (Danny Waldren), Rob Swaine, Jack Holland, Louis Dennis (Moses Ademola), Reece Prestedge (Dean Sinclair), Sam Higgins (Damian Scannell), Adam Birchall, Harry Grant (Pierre Joseph-Dubois).

Subs: Max Huxter.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account