Gills Ladies progress into the Kent Cup Final with a 3-0 win over Herne Bay Ladies at Chatham Town

Gillingham Ladies have progressed to the Kent Cup Final following a comfortable 3-0 win over Herne Bay Ladies on Sunday.

The match, which was played at Chatham Town, saw the Ladies hit three goals without reply in a solid display from Simon Ratcliffe's side.

The game started with Gillingham on the front foot and Hincks got away from her defender and hit a shot towards goal but it was deflected for a corner. Emma Tune crossed the ball into the penalty box but the ball was easily gathered up by Sarah Cooper.

Hincks then hit a delightful cross field pass to Lorton who attempted to chip the keeper; however the effort was just off target.

Chloe Cavenagh then broke through the middle after holding off three Herne Bay defenders before laying the ball off to Lorton once more, the forward struck it well but sent the shot wide. 

Ellie Manning then got the ball from a decent throw in for Gills and she hit a beautiful cross deep into the penalty box and Lorton was there to get her head on the end of it, but unfortunately for the hosts they saw another chance go begging.

However Lorton got her just rewards on 26 minutes when Gills finally seized the advantage. Some neat build up play saw Emma Michelmore drive into the six yard box and Lorton got the important touch ahead of Cooper to divert the ball into the back of the net.

Herne Bay went immediately in search of an equalizer to get back on level terms and Vicky Holness hit a powerful shot from twenty yards out but her shot failed to test Shanley and a goal kick was awarded.

Tune then had a chance to double the lead for Gillingham as she got the ball from a good pass from Sophie Brown, she had space to unleash a shot from outside the penalty box but the ball was easily gathered by Cooper.

Half time: Gillingham Ladies 1 Herne Bay Ladies 0

The second half started with Gillingham doubling their lead after some good work from Cavenagh through the middle of the park, the ball deflected to Lorton who hit a high ball past Cooper and the ball nestled into the top corner of the net.

Gillingham then won a penalty on 59 minutes as Lorton was fouled by Nugent inside the penalty area. Hincks stepped up and drilled a shot past Cooper and added a third goal for the hosts to all but clinch the tie.

Herne Bay still looked to get on the score sheet and Carly Farrow drilled a great pass to Isabella Tullet who out ran Lauren Williams to get through on goal but Shanley did well to spot the danger and claim the ball well.

Farrow had another chance to pull a goal back for Herne Bay when she ran down the left wing and cut inside Williams before hitting a high shot towards goal but Shanley did well to get behind it and save her shot.

Herne Bay’s final chance of the match came when they won a free kick, Harriet Chapman drilled the ball into the edge of the danger zone but the shot was cleared away by Tune.

Hincks then broke though for Gillingham as they looked for a fourth goal, she did well to dance her way through the Herne Bay defence before hitting a low shot which Cooper did well to save.

Final Score: Gillingham Ladies 3 Herne Bay Ladies 0

Gillingham Ladies: Courtney Shanley, Lauren Williams (Capt), Ellie Manning, Emma Tune, Emma Michelmore, Sokhara Goddall, Louise Lorton, Chloe Cavenagh (Maddison North), Lauren Phillips(Lydia Wills), Ashlee Hincks, Sophie Brown,

Goals: Lorton (26 and 46), Hincks (pen 59),

Herne Bay Ladies: Sarah Cooper, Emma Brown, Debbie Blackmore, Beth Nugent, Rachel Tracy (Capt), Kate Foster, Kayleigh Mount, Carly Farrow, Isabella Tullet, Vicky Holness, Harriet Chapman,

Subs: Emily Brown, Nicola Harris, Jemma Roberts, Bella Smith, Ashley Bantges

Referee: Daniel Doyle

Linesman: Matthew Williams and Bradley Lonergan