Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Folkestone Invicta 0-4 Gillingham

Gills made it two out of two in pre-season with a win at the Fullicks Stadium.

13 July 2019

Match Reports

Report | Folkestone Invicta 0-4 Gillingham

Gills made it two out of two in pre-season with a win at the Fullicks Stadium.

13 July 2019

Four different scorers on the board as Gills defeat Folkestone 4-0 at the Fullicks.

Gillingham continued their busy pre-season schedule with a 4-0 win at Folkestone Invicta on Saturday afternoon at the Fullicks Stadium.

Goals from Nathan Thomas, Mikael Ndjoli, Brandon Hanlan and a trialist ensured another pre season victory for Gills although Folkestone certainly provided a stern test for Steve Evans’ men in front of a good crowd.

Evans confirmed before kick-off that one eleven would play for the first hour before being replaced by a second eleven for the final 30 minutes. The teams would then swap round for Tuesday’s visit to Dartford.

Like last week against Faversham, Gillingham flew out of the blocks, and just like last week Nathan Thomas was on the scoresheet. The winger received a short free-kick and caught opposition keeper Tim Roberts by surprise to fire into the top corner from a narrow angle and give the Gills an early lead. 0-1

Folkestone were posing more of a threat than Faversham last week, and had it not been for Alfie Jones clearing an effort of the line, Jerson Dos Santos would have equalised for Invicta soon after. Instead, Gills were to come close, Hanlan played through by Willock but Roberts was to deny the forward from close range. 

Gills were to keep on the front foot and it was only for a vital block from former Gills man Finn O’Mara which denied Hanlan from doubling the lead. A couple of follow up efforts were also blocked as it remained 1-0 to the Gills.

Gills were to get a second goal in the 40th minute. Hanlan was fed in down the right hand side, the forward teed up his striker partner Mikael Ndjoli who fired, clinically, in to the bottom corner. 0-2.

Just before the half time whistle Folkestone were to come within inches of cutting the deficit, a couple of close range efforts from Dos Santos and Heard were denied by some impressive ‘keeping from Bonham who got down well to deny the Invicta forwards. 


H/T: 0-2


After a quiet opening to the second half the Gills extended their lead just before the hour mark, Hanlan was brought down in the box, he dusted himself down and stepped up to convert the penalty into the bottom corner, although keeper Roberts did get a hand to it. 0-3.

As predicted, it was all change on the hour mark with the entire Gills team being switched around, with the exception of Bradley Garmston who had replaced one of the visiting trialists at the break. The introduction of Garmston and Elliott List down the left hand side was causing the Invicta defence all sorts of problems and a couple of vital blocks stopped the score from increasing.

Another chance for the Gills fell the way of List, but his effort was saved on to the bar by the Invicta keeper before Ogilvie was denied on the follow up.

Regan Charles-Cook was the next man to try his luck. Ouss Cisse won the ball in midfield and fed the former Charlton man, he beat one man before jinking inside another, however his low effort was saved by Roberts.

In the 82nd minute Gills extended their lead when a Trialist added a fourth, although all the credit went to Charles-Cook who again impressed, he put the ball on a plate for the forward inside the six-yard box. 0-4.


F/T: 0-4


Folkestone: Roberts (Coleman 78mins), Vincent, Blanks, Newman (Dickens 30mins), O'Mara, Everitt (Hasler 58mins), Heard, Draycott (Paxman 53mins), Ter Horst (Okoh 78mins), Dos Santos, McCann.


Gillingham: Bonham, Hodson, Trialist, O’Keefe, Ehmer, Jones, Thomas, Willock, Hanlan, Ndjoli, Reilly.


Team after 60 mins: Walsh, Fuller, Tucker, Ogilvie, Garmston (45 Mins), Byrne, Oldaker, Cisse, List, Trialist, Regan Charles-Cook.


Attendance: 681

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account